1992 mx3 wont start

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mx3_Granny

1992 mx3 wont start

Post by Mx3_Granny »

My mother in laws 92 with 1.6l and AT wont start. It has no spark at the coil and when the key is turned on there is no fuel pump sound. The engine code is 02 but I cant find this code listed anywhere. For a 93 I think it is a crank position sensor. Does anyone know what the 02 code refers to for a 1992? If it is this sensor, where is it located? No local parts store has one listed.
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

Fuel Pump sound????If your car is not turning over and your battery is fine than your starter went out.
1993 Mazda Mx-3 1.6L SOHC
Full Exhaust w/4" tip, intake, full roll cage
myspace.com/nickistheone
Mx3_Granny

Post by Mx3_Granny »

Sorry, I meant to say that it turns over fine and the last mechanic put new wires and plugs on it. Yes, I did mean to say fuel pump sound. On most (all ?) fuel injected cars the ecu energize the fuel pump for two seconds or so when the ignition is turned on. At least every FI car I have owned does this. But this little mx3 is not energizing the fuel pump or giving any spark at the coil when turning over. I guess I will check wiring and be sure the ecu is getting power first.

I would really like to know what a 02 code means.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Fuel Injected (Before 95)
Except RX-7 (RX-7 See Below)

1 Ignition Pulse.
2 Distributor - No 2 Signal. :oops:
2 No 2 Signal (626 and MX-6).
2 Crank Angle Sensor - No 2 Signal (1992-1995 929, MX-3 1.8L).
3 Distributor - G or G1 Signal.
3 Crank Angle Sensor - G Signal (MX-3 1.8L).
4 Distributor - No #1 Signal or G2 Signal.
4 Crank Angle Sensor - No 1 Signal (MX-3 1.8L).
5 Knock Sensor.
6 Vehicle Speed Sensor.
6 Air Flow Meter (MX-3 1.8L).
7 Knock Sensor - right hand side.
8 Air Flow Meter.
9 Water Thermo Sensor.
10 Intake Air Thermo Sensor - Air Flow Meter.
11 Intake Air Thermo Sensor - Dynamic Chamber.
12 Throttle Sensor.
14 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor.
15 Oxygen Sensor or Heated Oxygen Sensor - left hand side.
16 EGR Position/Function Sensor.
17 Feedback System or Closed Loop System - left hand side.
23 Oxygen Sensor or Heated Oxygen Sensor - right hand side.
24 Feedback System or Closed Loop System - right hand side.
25 Solenoid Valve - Pressure Regulator.
26 Solenoid Valve.
27 Solenoid Valve.
28 Solenoid Valve - EGR Vacuum side.
29 Solenoid Valve - EGR Vent side.
30 Cold Start Injector Relay.
34 IAC Valve.
36 Heated Oxygen Sensor - right hand side.
37 Heated Oxygen Sensor - left hand side.
40 Solenoid Valve - Triple Induction Control System & 02S Replay.
40 Solenoid Valve - Variable Resonance Induction System Solenoid Valve - VRIS 1.
42 Wastegate Solenoid Valve.
46 Solenoid Valve - VRIS 2.
65 A/C Signal - PCMT.
67 Coolant Fan Relay No. 1.
69 ECT Sensor.
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Mx3_Granny

Post by Mx3_Granny »

Thanks! That helps a lot. That info suggests that it is in the distributor.
The distributor is rather expensive, is there any way to have this part checked out? I dont mind removing it and taking it somewhere to be tested. I just dont want to shell out hundreds of dollars unless I am sure this is the part needed. I need to get a shop manual but will have to wait until dealer opens on Monday and order one.

Until I get a decent repair manual, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do next to diagnose problem?

Thanks again
Mx3_Granny

Post by Mx3_Granny »

Okay, I took off the distributor cap and it looked new inside, rotor is fine. I thought the ignition module was located in the distributor but the only thing in there was a stator-pickup with the 4 wire connector. There is a 3 wire doohickey located to the left and under where the external ignition coil is. Is this the ignition module? And would a code 02 as described above (no dist 2 signal) be caused by ignition module or is it something in the distributor? Without the manual I feel pretty clueless, any advice on how to determine what needs to be replaced would be appreciated. Weve done a lot of searching and reading threads, but havent found exactly what we need.
clarkandrew45
antispam: No

Re: 1992 mx3 wont start

Post by clarkandrew45 »

Mx3_Granny wrote:My mother in laws 92 with 1.6l and AT wont start. It has no spark at the coil and when the key is turned on there is no fuel pump sound. The engine code is 02 but I cant find this code listed anywhere. For a 93 I think it is a crank position sensor. Does anyone know what the 02 code refers to for a 1992? If it is this sensor, where is it located? No local parts store has one listed.
Try to check the other parts like the battery. If the other parts is in good working condition, then there is a possibility that problem is the crank position sensor. Try to check if you still have the OEM for that part.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”