never replaced a halfshaft.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
snkcld

never replaced a halfshaft.

Post by snkcld »

what does replacing a front left half shaft entail?

does it require that i replace my transmission oil, too?

what all will i need before i do it?

i have never done this before, i know nothing about it, and i know both of my cv joints are fucked.

any links to directions would help
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

First of all you need an air compressor and a pretty good air gun. The hub nuts are a PITA to get off with a breaker bar. I've never been able to get one off with a breaker bar, but I've heard others that have. The trans fluid shouldn't need to be refilled and none should spill out, but it is a good idea to replace it if it is old. Also, take a look at the axle seals on the trans. If they look old, dry or broken you should get new ones. There are also seals on the hubs where the axles go in, same as the trans seals, if they look bad replace them.
Drivers side: Anyway, if you can get the hub nut off then it is easy. Take the brake clip loose so that the brake line is not tethered to the strut. Take the top two hub bolts out (where it attaches to the strut). Pull the hub tword you and turn it all the way to the left (left side of the car or left if you were steering). Then get a pry bar (usually a long one is the easiest). You can pry on the axle hub from the top of the car through the engine bay against the transmision. It will pop loose and then you can work the alxe out of the hub on the other end. If it is stuck in the hub use a piece of wood placed on the end of the axle and hit the wood with a hammer. Some penetrating oil on the splines of the axle is a good idea too if it is stuck in the hub. The new axle is easy to install. Just place the tranny end in, get the axle as striaght as possible and tap the hub end of the axle with a hammer until it pops into the tranny. Then turn the end of the axle and get it into the hub and put all the bolts, nut and brake clip back on. Make sure to pinch the hub nut where the split in the axle is so that it cannot come loose. Usually a big flat head or chisle will work for pinching the nut.
If you are doing the passanger side it is the same method except you cannot get to the axle cup form the top of the car, you have to crawl underneath and get it. A short pry bar is easiest on this side.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

I've gotten the axle/hub nuts off with a breaker bar but it was pretty tough. Ended up using a 3/4" drive socket with equally beefy 2' breaker bar and still had to add 4' of pipe to the bar before leverage was enough to bust a nut (in more ways than one).

As for instructions, have ya already cked the online shop manual?
http://www.mx-3.com/95manual
Image -Jim
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

PATDIESEL wrote:First of all you need an air compressor and a pretty good air gun. The hub nuts are a PITA to get off with a breaker bar
I used handtools all the way lol. I must be the all american hero yeaya. But after I was done with both sides during my swap my arms felt like jello.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
snkcld

Post by snkcld »

ah thanks. i got a friend that is going to help me out, he has a garage and tools and works on cars, too.

i went to o'reilly, autozone, and napa and they said that they do not have either halfshaft in stock. where can i find both the front and left online? i dont need a performance shaft, just one that is cheap, but not one that will fail within 3 years.

thanks for the help
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I think AutoZone still gives a lifetime warranty on theirs. I use them and they work fine. You do have to order them, but it only take a day or two at most to get them.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

they are in stock at my store lol. I work at autozone in poughkepsie, ny though. You should ask them if the can get it transfered from their HUB store.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”