Timing Question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Timmie_g

Timing Question

Post by Timmie_g »

Hey guys,

my head went back on today and well everything runs smoothly but sometimes it hesitates on WOT at lower rpms.

My shop forman and i decided we would time the engine on monday and i was wondering about where i should set the timing for the best preformance out of it,

my car is modded so im assuming it prolly will be a little different
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

You don't ID your engine (SOHC vs DOHC) but IIRC you have the DOHC MTX, same as me. Factory timing spec is 10*BTDC. Ck timing first to be sure it's currently at spec. If not, adjust to 10*BTDC and see how the motor responds. Remember to first jumper TEN & GND at the diag connector at rr engine bay or any timing adj you make won't work. You can advance timing for better performance on either stock or modded engine. 1st gen Miata ppl have been doing this since the 1.6DOHC B6 was intro'd in their cars. You don't mention what mods you have but either way, you'll hafta play with different settings to get best results on your particular motor. Reportedly you can advance timing up to 14*BTDC without needing to run premium octane fuel and up to 18*BTDC by using higher octane fuel to prevent engine knock.

Mine is set at 18*BTDC and I run 92/93 octane. It definitely improved throttle response at lower RPMs in lower gears as well as response and pwr @~2500 - 4500 RPM's in all gears. My engine mods right now are 2" SS mandrel catback exhaust, crankshaft UDP and a PRM CAI. If you're running stuff like modified perf cams, adjustable cam gears, larger (e.g. 1.8 BP) fuel injectors, piggyback or stand alone fuel mgmt sys, overbored TB, ported/polished head, a header, hi-flow cat, blah blah blah, those can all affect getting the optimal timing adjustment dialed in. Butt dyno will suffice for a stock/mostly stock motor but if heavy on the mods, nothing beats actual dyno testing to get max gains. g/l and post back with whatcha find.
Image -Jim
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

hey sorry for not giving any info, yea its a 95 1.6 DOHC, its got a underdrive pulley, CAI, 2.25" Manifold back exhaust all mandrel bent tubes with magnaflow resonator and muffler, ive done the ECU mod a few people have done on here(adjusted the rev limiter) new wires, thats it for engine stuff i suppose.

The enigne is bored 25 over in each cylinder, so im not sure how much of an effect that will have.

I generally run premium fuel all the time unless its stupid exspensive, your info so far was really helpful

BTW does your underdrive pulley have timing marks on it?? like on the stock pulley. Mine does not so i was wondering how you timed it.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

what ECU mod did u do to raise the limiter. and i also would like to know where to set the timing as i need to do the same
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”