Still no rear defroster...and still no diagram

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Lookwuticando

Still no rear defroster...and still no diagram

Post by Lookwuticando »

Anybody have any idea why the yellow wire from the rear defroster relay goes to the fuel pump under the back seat? What's the connection between these two?
92 MX-3 RS
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Odd, I am guessing that you are sure it is the same wire and that you didn't somwhere get confused and switch wires (maybe in the loom it changes and you didn't notice or something). I see no reason why a defrost wire would go to the fuel pump... Anyway, if looking for a problem and you are sure the yellow wire is the same, then check for voltage at the yellow wire at the fuel pump, with the defrost on. If none then continue your way backward until you find where there is voltage and then work back forward to find the break in the line. Car electrical issues are time consuming and frustrating, but really easy since there is either voltage or not.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: Still no rear defroster...and still no diagram

Post by neutral »

Lookwuticando wrote:Anybody have any idea why the yellow wire from the rear defroster relay goes to the fuel pump under the back seat? What's the connection between these two?
Is it possible you are looking at the wire from the fuel pump relay under the dash. If memory serves, that relay is in the same spot as the defrost one...
Image -Jim
Lookwuticando

Post by Lookwuticando »

Haha oh yeah, it's the same alright, did an ohm meter test, same wire. Seems to be the ground wire for the relay coil, the other wire on the relay is definitely the hot one. I've jumpered the two directly and the defroster comes on. Trouble is, don't think it'll shut off since this bypasses the switch. However, there is also something wrong with my gas gauge, it only reads part of the way, and I know it's the sending unit. Probly separate problems since it works partially and the defrost not at all.

Man I wish they'd get the rest of the shop manual up on here! It's always the part I need that's missing... :evil:
92 MX-3 RS
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Man I wish they'd get the rest of the shop manual up on here! It's always the part I need that's missing...
Odd how its always the regular members that havent donated to MX-3.com that seem to need those parts ;) LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Lookwuticando

Post by Lookwuticando »

Funny how it's always the loafer with nothing better to do or helpful input crackin wise :D
92 MX-3 RS
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yup :) But since I have nothing better to do.. I think I will waste even more time typing this rather than scanning the pages of my Body Electrical Manual too :) Have fun :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Lookwuticando

Post by Lookwuticando »

Hmmm, wonder what crawled up this guy's 3-inch exhaust...

Anyway, moving on...
92 MX-3 RS
Lookwuticando

Post by Lookwuticando »

So I finally got it working. Turns out it was a bad timer box. Let this be a lesson to future generations. Just because the key light works off that box
don't mean the defroster will. I can attest to that. :)
92 MX-3 RS

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”