Where do i start??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
5speedMX

Where do i start??

Post by 5speedMX »

I have a '94 1.6l dohc all ive done is install a CAI. Where should I start with performance mods can't afford to do a swap yet and I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff now that won't work after I swap.
It ain't done 'til it's done right.
facko

Post by facko »

prolly best just saving ur money for a swap or to turbo ur motor. if ur not gonna go turbo you could do ur exhaust now ...but other than that most everyone gonna tell u to just save ur money for a turbo/swap project
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

if you are going to do it, do it once. save your money and get what you really want the first time instead of buying crap, then buying it again.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
bawolvesfan

Post by bawolvesfan »

for some reason nobody here like to answer any questions about mods without just saying "preform a very difficult and tedious expensive mod for about what u could buy a better car for!"

The best mod ive found so far is a set of small light aluminum rims and some good stickies. A set of front and rear strut braces help also, and as said before a catback exhaust is also a good idea
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

also you can do small things such as fuel pump, rising rate fuel pressure regulator, either a piggy back or a stand alone. get these things up & running so its one less thing to do when you eithe swap or turbo your engine.

this is the route i am going. I have the parts needed but dont have the time to the actuall install, plus it got cold all of sudden on the east coast. I already installed the fuel pump & getting ready to do the rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

jaosn
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
facko

Post by facko »

i spent like $500 bucks on my turbo set up...800 if u include the clutch....so if u can find a better car than a turbo mx-3 for around 1000 dollars give or a take...either ur car must be trashed....or u kno where to get some good deals :D
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
bawolvesfan

Post by bawolvesfan »

now how many hours did u put into ur turbo swap? for alot of people, the time and risk of damage to the engine simply isnt worth the savings compared to just buying an mx-3 gs, pgt, or even a mustang
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: Where do i start??

Post by neutral »

5speedMX wrote:I have a '94 1.6l dohc all ive done is install a CAI. Where should I start with performance mods can't afford to do a swap yet and I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff now that won't work after I swap.
Try advancing the timing. Cost is nothing but a little time and effort and the results are impressive, given the small displ. NA engine.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
Image -Jim
facko

Post by facko »

im not sure about the total hours but u can do it all in a weekend if uve checked everything out and know about what ur gonna have to do. obviously if u havent taken the motor apart for any reason then the first time is gonna be a little longer. i did my set over the course of a couple weeks cuz i was waitingon parts to come in and i had school to goto and so on so...when i get my new motor in my car tho i pretty sure ill be able to put the turbo setup on that in few hours. i agree tho it may not be worth the risk of damaging the engine if this is ur only means of transportation. [/i]

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”