Umm.... Bondo'd Dash?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Spotted

Umm.... Bondo'd Dash?

Post by Spotted »

I have been reading in other forums about guys bondoing their dashes. Has anyone here tried that? I have to fix my dash because there is a really big crack in it and was hoping this would work, but I am a little skeptical...
Any feedback?

:welder:
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I wouldn't recommend it
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Its not bondo.. well part bondo.. basically you "FIBER GLASS" the dash to cover any cracks.. then sand it off and use bondo in the smaller cracks tho.. and then primer and paint.. to rebuld a cracked dash.. however you wouldnt use bondo on all of the dash. My brothers cavalier yielded great results... I would never do that.. ill just replace dash or dash cover it. Makes the dasha tini but heavier.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Cathair FG may work better. Its tiny fibers already in resin, you just add hardener. This way you wont have to worry much about adding layers of FG mat. If someone has used this, back me up or prove me wrong so he doesnt get bad advice. Lord knows I'd hate him to mess up his dash.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

That catahir bondo is a PITA IMO. It sands horribly and is terribly hard to sand. I'd use fiberglass mat then bondo if needed. Also, that painted dash is going to take alot of time to do right and then you cannot see when the sun is out b/c it is going to reflect a ton of light. Also, the paint will fade, crack from heat and the bondo can get knocked loose, not to mention scratches. The shiney dash is a show car thing. I wouldn't recommend it for a dailey driver. If your dash is messed up you can get an apholstery shop to recover it maybe or get a new dash from a junk MX-3.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Spotted

Post by Spotted »

Thanks for the help guys. I was kinda skeptical about the bondo, actually REALLY skeptical about it.
I will just get it recovered at a upholstery place.
It has a 1/4 inch gap in it. It seems that my brother was swatting at a mosquito and hit the dash. It started as a little crack and over the months has become a nice sized crack running from winshield to the edge of the dash.
Thanks again for the info.
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Whoa .. they make a vinyl repair kit that can be pruchased at most parts store just ask for it . Its about 14 bucks . Its a resin that you mix .. You add the color to match the dash then get a hot iron and stamp it with a supplied pattern to match the vinyl grain .. Its easy to use and is very inexpensive
Kris
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

there is alos the option for a high build primer paint it's fully sandable and it weighs nothing but it takes a alot of sanding ,depending on how your painting skills are , but the end results are a completaly smooth dash that you can now paint and clear or for the one afraid of glare from the shiny dash you can use a matte pait and clear it so that you still get a nice finish but with the same glare you'll get off the stock dash vinyl

Reaper
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Spotted

Post by Spotted »

Thanks about the primer. I don't think that would work though. The crack has grown to like a gash that it 1/4 inch wide.
I dont think the patch kit will work either. Anyway, the sun has baked the dash and the top of it is really hard a brittle. I think it's time to recover.

Thanks
:welder:
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

ah it happens the only other thing i could think of would be to go with a apoxy filler most hardware store sell them just squees the goo in the crack , smooth it out and then sander down and start painting but it may even be chaeper to get a new dash from a wreckers and prep and paint that up then go and have it re-covered

Reaper
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.

Return to “Appearance”