Turbo Question for my MX-3

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Slammed6

Turbo Question for my MX-3

Post by Slammed6 »

Ok, a quick rundown on my parts is in my signature. But i have bought alot of things for my turbo setup. I got everything i need and the project has started But i am kinda in a bind on the turbo.

I currently have a .50 a/r intake and .63 a/r exhaust. But from what i have been reading this turbo will spool really fast and kinda fall off towards 7,000 RPMS. Now what i want to do is switch the exhaust a/r to an 82 and that should move the spool time up to about 4,000 RPM which i believe will be more benificial to me since i have soo much traction problems anyways. But that will also keep the turbo in its most effecient area from 4,000 to 7,000 RPMs with no problem.

Any feedback would be appreciated on this. Thanks.
-Devin
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

could u put a pic or a site where u got the turbo from.

sound like the cheap e-bay turbo i first ran with( turbocharger a china's turbo). its not a bad turbo in my opinion but i was taking it up to 8000rpms and i didn't feel it fall off towards 7,000 RPMS. for $200.00 i don't know if it reliable since i only had it in for a few weeks. but was in the in the hi/low 13/14 sec. at 10psi. of course it was on a 4cly BP.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

It one from ebay The 57 trim Stage 3 t3/t40E.

I understand the turbo will have complete different reaction on a 2.5 liter with a 10:1 compression than a BP motor.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

well what are u looking for on the turbo. like the avg, mazda guy i want boost on demand at any given rpm or are u looking make some good WHP. and are willing to have some boost lag. i am a balls to the walls kind of person when it spools i am gone.

what are u looking a track weekend car setp or sa daily driven 12/13/14 sec car. or a little of both.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well its kinda a drag car, but driven on streets. I already got my mid 12 sec pass on a 75-shot.

But i am looking for the spooling to be 4,500 RPMs and up...i don't want instant spooling at any RPM. I have mad traction poblems all motor.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

udo u got a time slip shyt i like to see that. if its ture ur faster than me and iam boosted
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Yeah...a 12.6 @108 (corrected). I have the timeslip but it was ran at a high altitutde...so with correction is my time...but on the slip was a 13.0 @104.5 MPH
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

there is mine

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g288/ ... FOmy12.jpg

yeah if u look carefully u'll see the back end of my white MX-3
andy

Post by andy »

That is the size turbo I'm running on my 1.8L GS. I know the turbo will not be the same on your 2.5L but from my experience and from what I have read on Probetalk that is a good choice .
full boost comes in at 4500rpm in first causing wheel spin. then around 4000 rpm in second I have the same problem. third and fourth theres not enough torque to spin the tires when boost comes in. This is at 12psi.
If I were after turbo lag I'd say I did good. I feel like I have a highway monster. A dual stage boost controller could probably help with first and second gears but right now I'll have to live with it.
last time at the track I ran a 14.4 @ 105.7mph w/ 2.48 60'

have fun
Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
RbluE_MX-6

Post by RbluE_MX-6 »

The best solution to traction issues are drag radials or slicks(and an lsd). A good investment, and you wont chew up your daily driven tires at the track.

And I know some guys that are boosted that have a hard time breaking out of the 13s at high elevations.
88 Mx-6 GT FE-DOHC rebuilt

Too much to list...
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well i do have both a LSD and 26" slicks....but i roll on my 17's on the street and wanna be able to keep it reasonable
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

[quote="Slammed6"]Well i do have both a LSD and 26" slicks....but i roll on my 17's on the street and wanna be able to keep it reasonable[/quote]

not to cut ur balls off but u say u have traction issues. now iam lost what do u have and what don't u have. i assume u had no lsd or slicks which will lead to traction issues on street tires.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well for the track i can slap on some slicks and i will have no big worries. But i am saying on my 17's in the streets on street tires i have mad traction problems now. So when driving on the street turbo now i don't want the turbo to be spooling at 3,000 cause i will just be spinning.
BLANK

Post by BLANK »

Whats up everyone. I got a quick question for ya. I have a 92 mx-3 GS and I want to swap a KL-DE and turbo it...
This will be a daily driver and I need it reliable. I only plan to run 8-10 psi.
What do I need to do to the motor to make it handle that for a long time???
Also, what turbo setup (turbo, intercooler or not, ecu, exc...) would I need...
One last thing, if anyone knows a set up like that, about what would it run me???
Thanks in advance!!
{ 92 MX3 GS, custom and molded drift body kit, custom air intake, 17" Konig holes w/ Fusion HRI, accel plugwires, 2.5" exaust w/ 3.5" race spec. canister, custom interior accents, custom paint }
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

Fuel Pump
Injectors
Engine Management
Engine Mounts
Turbo Setup of Your Choosing
Axles (Optional)

If you don't know what you need, chances are you don't know how to make it reliable. I'm talking about tuning. Buy "How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems" by Jeff Hartman and "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. After you read them carefully, you will probably know what you want/need and how to do whatever you want to (granted that you know how to do the mechanical part of it). I learned a LOT from those books. There is a LOT of information on these forums and you can find an answer to almost anything using the search feature.

I was about your age when I wanted to make some major modifications to my car. Now, at almost 19, I think I am finally gonna get to it over the summer. I am glad that I didn't do anything drastic earlier because, now that I have a couple years of research under my belt, I won't be wasting money. I know what I want. Hopefully I'll get it :lol: .
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods

Return to “Forced Induction”