Coolant bubbling out from underneath rad cap...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
2perform

Coolant bubbling out from underneath rad cap...

Post by 2perform »

Just recently I’ve noticed the coolant starting to bubble out from the rad cap (causing coolant loss), and have some white smoke (especially at startup) coming from the muffler. The rad cap was replaced within the last couple years. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ps. The car takes a long time to warm up, and the heat never gets hot enough that you need to turn It down. Also note, I have no performance issues…
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'd take a bit of time and read some of the other threads here on even just this first page of the V6 forum.. these same issues have been addressed in the past week even.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

The white smoke tends to be a very specific problem. did you try searching the forums on the phrase "white smoke" I'd search both the V6 technical, and the V6 FAQ forums on that one.

Not warming up is usually a thermostat stuck open. we've been discussing thermostats just the last few days as Tunes said.. Read the last few days of messages, or search for the words 'thermostat stuck open' and you are sure to find something that will help
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

You need new head gaskets my friend...or possibly head warpage.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
alreadydefective

Post by alreadydefective »

radiator problem, this could help

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=56588
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

mx3autozam wrote:You need new head gaskets my friend...or possibly head warpage.
My mechanic friend actually explained the same thing to me. Granted that we're looking at the filler cap directly behind the rad, if the coolant is bubbling excessively (like boiling water in a pot), that's a sign of worn head gaskets.
'93 GS, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ECU, B&M STS, complete SRD shifter bushings, mx-6 clutch, ZX2 struts, Apex springs... and building...
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

What if the bubbles are many small bubbles like the bubbles in a glass of beer?
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I've stopped using coolant, I find champagne works much better. :lol:
Cody
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

What if the bubbles are many small bubbles like the bubbles in a glass of beer
Bubbles in the coolant often are indicative of exhaust gases being expelled from the cylinder into the cooling system. A symptom of a blown head gasket. You could do a compression test on the engine or rent a cooling system pressure tester kit and see if you can determine for certain if you have cylinder pressure escaping. Do you see any white smoke out the tail pipe after the car is fully warmed up? White smoke (heavy steam) is a indicator of burning coolant. If the white smoke has a blue tint to it.. thats oil burning.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

You will also be able to smell coolant in the exhaust when its cold. Ya the bubbles are exahsut gases from inside the cylinders seeping through the head gaskets and into the coolant. Does it get bad that it pours coolant into the overflow? Chances are you are okay for a little while.

I bet the gaskets are fine, and the heads are warped. all it takes is about 0.003 for it hen you have time pull the ehads off and take them to machine shop ahve them checked, if warped ahve them clean machine whatever they need to take off. But I personally would not take anymore than 0.010 off. then put it back together with new gaskets!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”