posible swap question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
aguiloco

posible swap question

Post by aguiloco »

Hello, I was a long time thinking about to swap my car to a KLZE, but if I get one of that engines I will replace the pistons and rods for another better. Whats the diference between KLDE an KLZE, only the cylinders and pistons? Would be cheaper for me to buy a KLDE and make that modification to turn it to a KLZE?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Buy a DE, replace the pistons and rods, but it is not a ZE, it is still a DE, just a built DE. It will be cheaper and if you use higher compression pistons it will be just as fast or maybe faster than a ZE.
A DE and ZE are only different in the pistons and intake manifold.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Mmmm so why do some KLDE guys opt for KLZEs?
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

well I opted for the DE so like I couldn't tell you.

But perhaps they feel it's easier to just get the ZE engine than buy a DE and then a bunch of parts, labor, time to do the work to change it into a ZE..

( I suspect there's also ECU changes VRIS set point differences, and more than Just pistons and intake when it comes to the differences in the engine.. but I'm far far from a ZE expert. )
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I bought a de because parts are easier to find, and eventually i want to go boosted. The lower compression on the de is better for boost. If you are going to run all motor, and messing with the engine internals is not your thing, go ze because its more bang for your buck. Just my .02

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

really I love the ZE, but as blazeregs says, to get a DE is easyer, because I´m from Spain and maybe I would can see the engine after buy it, importing a ZE I have to hope that the engine is running good, and I will have to put it as soon as posible in the car to test the engine in the guarranty period. To buy a engine that I dont see after makes me worry a lot, but I really want a ZE.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

I mean guys that drive probes or mx-6's that already have KLDE's. They do put in KLZE. It must just be easier to do a motor swap then tear apart the engine and drop in new pistons.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
jarro

3.0 engine swap?

Post by jarro »

does anyone know if its possible to convert a 1.8 to a 1989 3.0 ford probe v6?..its the same basic layout as the mazda engine, just curious if anyone know if it will fit into a mx?
92, GS just added custom cold air intake, new performance exhast, and added a custom test pipe, and front and rear strut bars
Nd4SpdSe

Re: 3.0 engine swap?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

jarro wrote:does anyone know if its possible to convert a 1.8 to a 1989 3.0 ford probe v6?..its the same basic layout as the mazda engine, just curious if anyone know if it will fit into a mx?
Just cause it fits, doesn't mean it's the same layout. The older Probes/626/Mx-6 used F-Series engines. Mx-3's are deisnged for B and K series. The 1st Gen 88-92 Probe was the only one that had the Vulcan V6 option.

It takes some custom fabrication to get an F-series in an Mx-3, and it's only been done once (that i know of, Bochek's attempting a second one). The Turbo SOHC 2.2L 4cyl F2T actualy makes 145hp and 190ft-lbs of torque. The 3.0L Vulcan V6 actually makes 145hp and only 160ft/lbs of torque. The F2T would have more potential, more power, and it's known possible to fit into an Mx-3, although requires custom work, it would be costly if you needed to pay for someone to do so. Although the F-Series motor and transmissions are probably the best you can get, the Mazda B-Series aren't far behind and have alot of potential as well, and have the benefit of being a newer motor. A BPT, although requiring a RS doner car for parts, is (for what i know) just a complicated bolt-in, only because of the GS-to-RS conversion in the engine bay, but bolt-in none the less, because the Mx-3 was designed to accept those motors.

In comparison, the drop-and-plug KLDE makes 165hp and 165ft-lbs of tq, and the drop-and-plug KLZE makes 198hp and 165ft-lbs of tq. As well, that Vulcan 3.0L is an older engine, so they will be of higher millage, and parts will be alot more scarse. I'm not sure about support, but there's alot of KL's out there, could even swap the internals of a DE and ZE, and the exterior components of the K8 & KF, so parts are plentiful.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”