exhaust

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mx3optidrive

exhaust

Post by mx3optidrive »

People with the turboed BP's, what exhaust are you running? I am going with a 3 inch pipe, have a t3/t4 and want a quiet exhaust that isn't too restrictive. Just looking for options.
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

I would just go with the 2.5" if want it to be quieter...unless your goin for crazy hp numbers the 2.5" exhaust will be all you'need
i don't have a bp but thats all i'm gonna run for my ze-T when its all done
2006 best ET 14.43 @ 96.9mph
93 MX-3 GS-95 Curveneck klze, kl-01 cammed,homemade CAI,HEI module, chipped kl-07 ECU,UDP,KYB GR-2 struts,DropZone lowering springs, Toyo Proxes 4's 205-50-r15
parts to be installed:Turbo hot pipes,T04E/t3 50/63 57 trim, ssqv BOV, hks style 38mm wastegate
the rest of my turbo set up and IPP hp rebuild kit is in the NEAR future
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

I already have the 3 inch exhaust piping and want performance, that is why I went with the 3 inch over the 2.5". If I have to have a loud muffler because of it, then so beit. I know others have the 3 inch exhaust and theirs are quiet so now I just want to see what my options are.

Jeff
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

you dont want to go with 2.5 exhaust with a t3/t4. maybe a 2.5 downpipe to 3". but your best bet is to put a resionator in. you can find some nice ones on E-bay for cheep. a 30" will cut your sound down, and have a nice quiet low grumble. I actually run nothing, as when i put an in line muffler it got louder. trust me my 2.5 straight threw was louder than my 3" straight threw.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

will on my setup iam running with a 2.5 in down pipe and 2.5 in RM catback mandel bent. when u go boosted it a lot quiter vs N/A. but not by much. i just wish i had a different muffler pro one is loud and magna flow would be nice. my bro has a 2.5 in down pipe and RM 3in catback with magna flow muffler and its quiter than mine. them again i perfer to run with just the down pipe and open exhaust. has that unquie sound.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

I am going with a 3" exhaust from the turbo to the back. I think I am going to get the magnaflow exhaust with a resonator and high flow cat. Anyone have this setup and maybe a soundclip of your cars exhaust?

Thanks everyone for your replys.

Jeff
zCat

Post by zCat »

I am gonna get raped for saying this, but honestly, the muffler choice doesn't make that much of a horsepower difference. It's mostly the rest of the exhaust that matters. So if you want to get huge pipes, do it and get a nice, quiet, but still performance-oriented muffler. Even the non straight through designs like a lot of Dynomax and Magnaflow are fine.
I like Thrush the most ^_^ cheap and efficient.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I have a 3" down pipe in to a Magnaflow High Flow CAT made for Big Block engines...It is half CAT and half resonator (glass pack muffler). The rest of the way back is 3.5" with 3 Dynomax race mufflers and to cap it off I use a Car Chemistry 3 disk insert w/o the restrictor plate. The car lost maybe 15HP on the top side and gained 20+lb/ft of torque on the low end. I'm running a Tial 44mm waste gate and dumping to atmosphere trough a 2.5" dump tube. The VA state police no longer bother me and I'm willing to bet my car is in the 80db range...unless you pass 5000rpm and the wastegate opens :wink:

You could use a 3" down pipe with an electric cut out tied to the TPS to open only at WOT...then use the stock exhaust from there back...that was what I was about to do.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

JWMotorsports wrote:
You could use a 3" down pipe with an electric cut out tied to the TPS to open only at WOT...then use the stock exhaust from there back...that was what I was about to do.
thats what im doing. i have the cutout in place, just need to put on the electric cutout on and hook it up to one of the relays on the stand alone, i am also waiting on some ss piping, as with a drive shaft running down the center of the tunnel i dont have much room for an exhaust.

I love the sound of he magnaflow, Bugs is running like 2.5 all the way back, and has a high flow metal cat, and a magnaflow muffler. its nice and quiet at idle, then at wot its not overly loud. its the sound i aspire to have, except my idle has to be at like 1200 RPM or the car will die. damb them beefy cams :)

Return to “Forced Induction”