Removing timing belt??????

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ProjectMx-3

Removing timing belt??????

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

I need to remove the timing belt in order to replace the waterpump. How the hell do i remove it? the bolt is really tight and when i try to unloosen it all the belts just spin...what do i do?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

To prevent engine rotation during this procedure, Special Svc. Tool(SST) 49 E011 1AO or similar tool is best used. Other threads exist from ppl who've tried various other tricks to get around this but IMO it's worth renting/borrowing the SST from the local Autozone or Advance Autoparts.

Follow http://www.mx-3.com/95manual for the Mazda MX-3 online manual. Your engine and procedures to service timing belt is found on pages B1-041(shows SST), B1-044, B1-065 and B1-084. Table of Contents for the B-section is on B1-001. Pretty straightforward to follow but post back w/any Q's if ya decide to go ahead as a DIY repair and still have concerns.
Image -Jim
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

just loosen the tensioner pulley bolt(the left idler pulley), that should give you some leway on the belt and then just push it off the cams.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

To keep the engine from rotating, I would use a pull par with the socket inserted into the crank pulley. You don't have to have the special service tool for this. With your 10mm socket or wrench on the face of the w/p pulley, you should'nt have any trouble with the crank locked down with a pull/pry bar. If the belt slips, then tighten the belt to the water pump pulley.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”