bad altinator? (spelling)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
alreadydefective

bad altinator? (spelling)

Post by alreadydefective »

so... my guages go nuts, lights really dim, cd-player died... pretty much no power... these are signs of a bad one? (just makin sure), bairly made it home :-/, yeah :-(
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Alternator

Check to see what the voltage output of the battery is. If the alternator is toast, the system would have started to drain the battery. There is a very good test procedure that isn't that pricey a quality auto shop could do to confirm this. Bring jumper cables with you and charge the battery the night before you go.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Do the lights get brighter if you rev the motor.and is the Charge light come on?
If so its most likey an alternator.

You can also get a set of booster cables and connect them to another car. If it does not do this issue its your alternator because the other cars alternator will be charging your battery!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Symptoms do sound like either a bad alt or alt belt prob. Would expect that you'd see the charge light come on the dash shortly before or as all that was happening tho.
Image -Jim
alreadydefective

sorry, forgot to mention that, but yeah, the charge light was on, just got money for x-mas, so im getting it tested, and probably a new alt/battery
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

If you have enough.I would recomend an Optima red top battery..I broke an alternator belt and drove my car for 2 days on just the battery. Recomend one of those babies for sure.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

mx3autozam wrote:If you have enough.I would recomend an Optima red top battery..I broke an alternator belt and drove my car for 2 days on just the battery. Recomend one of those babies for sure.
I know what my new battery's gonna be.
1993 GS
-MS front -functional molded hood scoop
-MS molded sides-shaved antenna
-Civic projectors -New black paintjob
alreadydefective

ok, i have a voltage meter, and i check the alt, and it seemed to be fine, i ran all the electonics i normally run (ac, ran fine; music, played well with subs; lights, bright like they should be;) and im not sure, but yeah, any thoughts would be nice :-/
alreadydefective

so, how hard would it be to get a rebuilt altinator and swap it with the old one, on a K8D?
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

most alternators you buy are rebuilt and you exchange your old one for a core charge. Its not hard to change the alternator, undo the big 14mm bolt and the upper 12 mm bolt and its out.
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
azkcar135

Post by azkcar135 »

ryan_Fuerte wrote:most alternators you buy are rebuilt and you exchange your old one for a core charge. Its not hard to change the alternator, undo the big 14mm bolt and the upper 12 mm bolt and its out.
yeah right unless its a 4 banger its a pain in the @$$ had to remove my ac compressor!! found out the alt i got from the pull and save wasn't the right one. same engine though? different car
new to mx-3, just bought one 1992 gs $900 good deal or not?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”