Picked up a sweet MX3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
zCat

Picked up a sweet MX3

Post by zCat »

Well, I hope that it's not tabboo/against forum rules to "introduce" oneself. I recently joined this website because I picked up a really nice MX3 for 650$.
The cons? The transmission has no 5th gear, for whatever reason, and it needs a new exhaust (oh darn...guess I have to get a performance exhaust system...rats) and a wheel alignment. It's still a good deal, though...the body and interior are in stunning shape.
See, originally, I was just going to buy the car, fix the little mechanical issues, then try to sell it for more than the net cost, but I just kinda fell in love with it. I have been a member of the site for a few weeks already and have found lots of useful tidbits. Looking forward to an awesome website for a nice car
P.S....yea, I know it's not a freakin' race car. I just think it's a nice little whip that will get me around 1.) Cheaply and 2.) Nicely.
Peace.
hharb

Post by hharb »

yeah, its very easy to fall inlove with an mx3... but yeah scrap this whole fixing up and selling idea, the resale value on mx3s is horrible, like if you get 50% of what you spend on it you'd be so lucky, if you goin to spend money spend it for your own fun. so yeah congrats, its an awesome car and you can do alot with it.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

It is not a race car "yet". You can pretty easily make a Very quick MX track car. Chris (a MOCA member) has spent maybe 1000 on his and is almost as fast as most Z06s around the local track... They handle much better than most realize.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
zCat

Post by zCat »

Wow. Well, I got all the initial bugs worked out of the car-it needed some TLC, which included a new pass. side brake caliper, an idle speed adjustment, a new radiator (all aluminum...crappy Mazda plastic end tanks), and some fluids.
The reason I say wow is this: this morning, I got a new cat-back exhaust from my local muffler shop, because the exhaust that was on it was ghetto rigged and rattled really badly. I got some 2 1/4" Flowmaster pipes, because that's what my awesome muffler guy uses, a Thrush muffler, because I didn't want to spend much and didn't want anything flashy, and a very tasteful 2 1/4" diamater chrome tip. Before I turned the car on to leave the shop, I replaced the air filter with a drop-in K&N replacement filter.
Now, I have done this same kind of light intake-exhaust work on several cars that I have driven, but as I took the MX out of the muffler shop I was AMAZED. I really don't think I have ever driven a car with a small engine that was more responsive to mild tuning. I can't even WAIT to do a little timing advancement.
^_^ Man I am loving this car more and more every day.
bubsy83

Picked Up a Sweet MX-3

Post by bubsy83 »

Good deal on the car.

Yeah, I am new to the MX-3 as well, having been an American Muscle Car enthusiast my whole life, I can relate to how fast one can fall in love with this car. I am still scratching my head as to where I wa when these cars were in production and yet I never noticed them. My eyes are now wide open and hoping to see the Kabura concept car become reality 'cause I want one of the as well.

Welcome to the MX-3 world and website and have fun with your new toy!!! :D
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Welcome to the board zCat and congrats on scoring the MX-3. Agree with your impressions. My '95 1.6DOHC benefited similarly when those same basic two mods were done. Suddenly the car behaved more like it should at both mid and high rpms. Never be a speed burner but I was just looking for a bit of improved quickness in traffic and the twisties. 1st thing I noticed was improved throttle response and 2nd a nice power band @~1800-4500 rpm where before... there was none. Paper OEM air filter was choking that tiny 1.6 when it needed all possible airflow.

Since gone with a PRM CAI - sounds wicked but truth is, no real butt dyno dif from when the K&N drop-in filter first went in. You're also dead on in another post re recommending the timing advance. If you have the 1.6DOHC, it works great and was an equally noticeable butt dyno improvement by itself. Typically, gotta go premium grade fuel with that mod but IMO is worth it. Only other engine perf mods I've done are ground wire kit and crank underdrive pulley. In addition to normal tune-up stuff, also added a can of BG44K to the gas tank and ran a SeaFoam treatment thru the motor. The motor is about where I want it to be in terms of driving performance and decent fuel economy. Sounds like you are looking for a similar outcome... Anyway, enjoy your ride and welcome to the cult. :D
Image -Jim

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”