k8 is dying, so the ze is going in.. had a couple questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
xerostatus

k8 is dying, so the ze is going in.. had a couple questions

Post by xerostatus »

Now the k8 i have in one of my mx-3s seems to be dying (gulping down oil, coolant disappaearing, not being able to pass smog if its life depended on it, etc) so instead of dealing with the headaches, i decided to take the ZE i have in my other mx-3 and swap it over. Now i myself would love to try to attempt the swap myself, but my time and skill and knowledge is a bit on the lacking side. So ive decided to get a local shop to do it, actually a friend of my pops. my dad's friend is gonna have his son do the swap, since hes the one experienced in doing these sorts of jobs.

Now my question is: for someone who hasnt done a ze swap, what is there really to know about this? I mean, is there anything i should let the guy know so he doesnt run into any problems, like certain plugs or hoses or whatever that doesnt swap in directly, etc? I know its like 95% straight swap but over the years reading the forums have given me the impression there are certain things that you just gotta know about while/before doing the swap. So if theres someone out there that can point out some things i can tell the dude, that would help a great deal. thanks

(oh, and keep in mind the ZE is already IN an mx-3, as i can imagine that might make things easier as far as doin the swap)
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
==========================
http://www.cardomain.com/id/xerostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

There is a world of info on this swap. Start with the faq here and then probetalk. I highly doubt its missing any info at all.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

If the ze is already in an mx-3 and is running with no problems. There should be no unforseen problems. Common things like switching over exhaust manifolds, getting the coolant sensor situation resolved, and using an intake manifold that will fit in an mx3 should all be solved already. I can not see anything to worry about.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
xerostatus

Post by xerostatus »

good to hear, thanks. appreciate the replies, im hoping the install goes without any hitches or any future problems arising from it.
1995 MX-6 LS
1992 MX-3 ZE (busted up)
==========================
http://www.cardomain.com/id/xerostatus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”