Cold Air Intake help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Cold Air Intake help

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I went to Autozone and was about to get a K&N filter but I noticed they are in different sizes. Some are longer then others, others are really short

I know the piping diameter for our cars should be about 2.25 inches for a CAI. However, does the size of the CAI intake itself really matter?
Just as long as it fits 2.25 inch piping I am good and set? Doesent matter its the CAI is long?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

as long as the maf sensor is in the middle it doesnt matter about anything else.
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

If you are doing a true cai and relocating the air filter to the front fender well where the coolant over flow used to be. I would measure how much room you have to get the filter down in that hole. The filter that came with my integra intake took some force to get it to fit because it was almost to big.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

1992blazeredgs wrote:If you are doing a true cai and relocating the air filter to the front fender well where the coolant over flow used to be. I would measure how much room you have to get the filter down in that hole. The filter that came with my integra intake took some force to get it to fit because it was almost to big.

Nate
Hey, what years is that Intake for the Integras for?
I see they are going for about $107 on Ebay, I think I can just get by buy buying the CAI intake piping for about $20 then spending another $40 on a K&N Filter from AutoZone
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I think its 91-93, but i am not totally sure, its for the second generation integra. I bought mine for like 20 bucks. They should be pretty cheap. Not $107. Something like this will work fine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOMZ-90- ... otohosting

YOu will have to cut the pipe into peices and than buy some couplings from autozone for $5 but its alot cheaper than either of the two routes you were talking about.

Nate
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

hmmm, a while ago someone was syaing about $100 for a CAI... I think that may also have been for a Weapon R
Ether way, it dont matter, I dont expect to gain 7hp from a CAI

I think I will get that one then

By the way, would there be any benfits from replacing the Intake Filter on that Integra CAI by putting a K&N filter instead?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I have had my cold air intake for over a year now, and i have had no problems with the filter that came with my intake. I just bought some of the K&N filter cleaner stuff. I dont know if there are any performance differences between a K&N cone filter and an offbrand. If there are i doubt it would be noticable.

Nate
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

So that will work on a KLZE and even a K8
And that CAI from that Ebay auction will work
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

That ebay integra intake can be made to work on any k series motor. It will work on a ze or de depending on which intake manifold you use. If you use the stock de manifold or a straight neck ze manifold you will require a 90 degree coupling right off the tb or you will more than likely hit the battery. If the millenia or k8 intake is used it should work just fine. Hope this clears some things up.

Nate
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

1992blazeredgs wrote:I think its 91-93, but i am not totally sure, its for the second generation integra. I bought mine for like 20 bucks. They should be pretty cheap. Not $107. Something like this will work fine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOMZ-90- ... otohosting

YOu will have to cut the pipe into peices and than buy some couplings from autozone for $5 but its alot cheaper than either of the two routes you were talking about.

Nate
Alright I am gonna purchase that exact CAI
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Well not that exact CAI
Quick question
If I buy a chromed CAI would I be able to paint black later on? Just wondering?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”