How do I repair a crack on front bumper?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
fabmxer

How do I repair a crack on front bumper?

Post by fabmxer »

What would I use? I head fiberglassing it isn't good since it's not flexible, so what would I use, a flexible epoxy? And does anyone know a good product and where I can buy it from? ( Like a website I can order it off of? )

Thanks.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

BONDO!!!!!!!! any automotive store has bondo..........but if you want something flexible then you can only buy one thing to fix it and that is THE BUMPER..come on man how are you gonna fix a crack and want it to be flexible .....
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Assuming your bumper is stock, it's made of urethane. I've used the 3M EZ Sand Flexible Parts Repair PN 05895 Two-Part flexible epoxy-based product with xlnt results. Sandable in 15 minutes. Also use 3M Automix Polyolefin Adhesion Promoter PN 05907 to get a very smooth feather edge. You can get it here but might find a better price if ya google around for it.
http://www.autobodysupply.net/store/def ... A030BAD9DF

Here's a how-to vid... g/l.
http://shows.implex.tv/3MTV/Root/AAD/945/preflight.htm
Image -Jim
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

^
|
|
|
|

Like that
PWRD_BY_HKS wrote:come on man how are you gonna fix a crack and want it to be flexible .....
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

Awesome, thanks neutral! Yes, I have the stock bumper, so as the video said, I would have to take the bumper out to repair it from the back side right?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

PWRD_BY_HKS wrote:BONDO!!!!!!!! any automotive store has bondo..........but if you want something flexible then you can only buy one thing to fix it and that is THE BUMPER..come on man how are you gonna fix a crack and want it to be flexible .....
no, whatever you do DO NOT USE bondo. Ask paint supply store for Duramix 40/40 glue. It'll fill up crack and is very strong. You can use flexible icing putty over that to sand it smooth and then paint. Make sure you use flex agent in base coat so paint wont peel off easy.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I bought a plastic welder 10 years ago for $350 to do a small job. It was one of the best investments I've made. Everybody asked why and thought it was a waste of money. The kit has long since paid for itself may time over by mostly the same people that laughed at me for buying it in the first place when they needed to have a repair done on there car.
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

3M came out with some new process just a little bit ago, it might be part of their duramix line, You'll have to ask at an autobody supply shop, but basically, they have a patch and some heat activated glue that goes on the back, then a filler for the front which I think was also heat activated. that sets up in like 20 minutes and your ready to sand, prime and paint. Cool stuff. Incidentally if you dont work on the front the crack will always show in the paint. Using adhesive only on the back fixes it structurally but not cosmetically. The front of the cracked area should be cut or ground out to create a valley in the urethane for the adhesive filler to bond to. Then when its sanded smooth, primed and sanded again, the crack will be gone.

Return to “Appearance”