KLZE Smoking

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

KLZE Smoking

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Ive had my ZE for almost a year now and have never had a problem with it ever until 2 days ago. When I drive the car only about 10 blocks or so it starts to smoke alittle bit from the firewall side of the engine by the rear valve cover. Then it starts to smell alot like maple syrup. So what do you guys think? I'm guessing its the rear valve cover gasket is dead since I have all fluids topped off and bled, and my exhaust is not coming out blue so that would rule out head gasket. Any other suggestions or do you all agree its more than likely the valve cover gasket?
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yeh it seems to be rear valve cover gasket.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
rece

Post by rece »

maple syrup means that your heater core is going or gone. I have had to replace one on each of my cars and it started with the maple syrup smell.
Jesse<BR>red 92 gs
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

YEA! I have the same thing, it is a sweet selling scent, I thought it was the paint on my motor. So it is just the heater under the dash? It works fine for me?
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

check you oil sensor to make sure its not pushing through it as well
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

you sure the pcv hose on the rear valve cover is connected..i've driven my car with ghat off and it smoked through the vents and stunk like oil pretty bad...u may wanna take a look
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Ill have to check about that PVC hose to see if thats it because the car just all of a sudden started smoking. It wasnt gradual at all just out of nowhere.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Burning oil doesn't smell sweet, but smokey and caustic. (to me at least). I'd check the coolant level and see if you are loosing any. If so I'd bet on the heater core like Rece said. Coolant smells sweet.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hharb

Post by hharb »

totally agree with PATDIESEL, try the coolant first if not well its gotta be the heater core, i doubt it has anything to do with oil, i have a feeling its coolant related.
iowa_mx3

Post by iowa_mx3 »

lil third the coolant leak.....
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

I'm not losing any coolant at all but I do agree that it seems like something to do with coolant because it only starts to smell right after the cars temp needle starts to move while warming up. Anyone know how I can check for sure if its the heater core? And also does a bad heater core smoke normally?
iowa_mx3

Post by iowa_mx3 »

Are you sure its SMOKE and not steam?
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

check your upper rad hose and your rad cap.

Also, if you have access to one, do a coolant system leakdown check and see what happens there..coolant is sweet smelling indeed.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
hharb

Post by hharb »

yeah i want to add a little to that, if it's the coolant, you know it's not necessarily a big leak, i mean all u need a few drops on a hot engine, and u got alot of steam goin on.. so you wouldn't be able to notice a change a difference in your coolant level, unless you monitor over a long period of time, check where the smoke is coming from, check all around it look for signs of wetness.. the rad cap could be the source, i have the same problem and its my rad cap, im not even worried about replacing it.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”