HLA Ticking / not ticking... strange behaviour

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Steve_SK

HLA Ticking / not ticking... strange behaviour

Post by Steve_SK »

I have one problem.

When my engine is cold after the night and I start it in the morning, HLA's in left head tick a lot. I have enough engine oil, it is new. When I trun off the engine and start it again, they are all quiet and engine runs perfectly.

Could be problem in oil pressure? Valve in oil pump? Please help, I bought TWO new friction springs because I want to have my engine as quiet as possible and now this happens...

Thank you.
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

there's no oil at the HLA when you starting it, once you start it, oil pump pumps it up and lubricates it so no more noise. Pretty typical for HLA's especially in cold weather
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

This happens to me sometimes as well. What oil are you running? I was running 10w30 and switch to amsoil 5w30 and the tick went away. You want to have a oil that has a lower start up rating (IE. 5 or 0 weight)

Forgot to mention, I believe that synthetic oil helps abit as well.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

mine does same thing sometimes
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

I have 5w40 Petro Canada Full Synthetic engine oil, SL with freezing point somewhere around -45 C. Ticking continues after few seconds, even after a short drive, only one thing helps - to turn off and start engine again. :? This sound only comes from the left head. I believe it is only one HLA (according to frequency of ticking).
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

all engines are known for this. Using synthetic will help a tiny bit really not much.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Well, they are known for this, but should not do this. I will try to exchange valve in oil pump. I think there's a problem in oil pressure.. Will let you know. I have also prepared friction spring and nut for replacement. :wink: Yesterday, I installed new catalyst, so I am happy. But I also need second oxygen sensor..
SpudgunBlunder

Post by SpudgunBlunder »

I have a spare set of o2 sensors if you need?
Mazda MX-3 1995 waiting for CarPC to be installed.
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Thank you, but my post is 6 months old and since then I have installed many new parts, incl. ox. sensor. But thank you anyway. :wink:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”