"No KLZE will pass emissions" is that true?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

"No KLZE will pass emissions" is that true?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Is it possible to have a KLZE get the same emission levels as a regular K8?
In other words, is it possible to have a KLZE pass emissions even if you live in Emissions Anal California?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i have heard its doable, if emissions are a big deal i would just do a DE swap and put in ZE cams and be happy :P
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Most definately and please think before you ask such a question. If ZEs wouldn't pass emisions then how would anyone in Cali. do a swap? There are docuemented cases of ZE swaps in Cali and I think there was a ZE'd MX on here for sale recently that was from California.
However, to answer your question, yes they will pass and yes can pass with better results than a K8. My ZE has passed every year so far with better numbers than my K8 ever did. I bought the MX with 30,000 miles and have done emisions on it every year since I bought it. The ZE has been in the car for about 6 years now and passes with flying numbers. You do see alot of people on the board that have a ZE that fail. They usually fail the first time they try and get the emisions and I would attribute that failure to a lack of repairing old parts on the car. Generally you see high flow cats that don't do their job of burning the expent gasses, poor plugs caps and wires, old O2 sensors, old fuel filters, K8 exhausts on a ZE and other things. What is often overlooked is the fact that the ZE is NOT a K8 and thus shouldn't be treated as one when preparing the car for a ZE.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I passed e-test twice so far with my ZE

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=55613
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

If you put a ZE in, without any modifications, then your answer is no. A ZE engine will not pass in California. 2 reasons. First, you need to add an egr, for the smog test. Second, you need a smog sticker(to match the engine), you have to have the state's smog referee inspect the engine, to pass. Now, if you can find a smog station to illegally smog your car(meaning smog it without testing the egr and checking off the smog sticker), then you don't have to go to the state's smog referee. So that would be a yes.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

A ZE will pass emission. Swap ur EGR setup over from the K8..and hook everything up as normal. And ur ZE will pass all inspections and sniffer in Cali.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
vasilaar

Post by vasilaar »

it also depends on the testing regulations... up here in the great white north... well at least in ontario... i have the option to test as a 'Hot Rod'... any car that doesn't have the origional motor in it has this option. and the 'hot rod' specs for emmisions are basically twice as much as the stock ones... so its really hard to fail.
Drive it like you stole it.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Locally, a guy passed w/ a ZE without EGR.. go figure :)
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Same here in California...my friends probe. I had the EGR on there for visual purposes, but it was not functional, and still passed Cali emissions.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

vasilaar wrote:it also depends on the testing regulations... up here in the great white north... well at least in ontario... i have the option to test as a 'Hot Rod'... any car that doesn't have the origional motor in it has this option. and the 'hot rod' specs for emmisions are basically twice as much as the stock ones... so its really hard to fail.
I'm in Ontario as well, and I passed as a K8. Apparently Hot Rod specs are getting stricter, while the stock K8's are getting more lenient. Although they wanted documentation saying that it's not stock (cause it's not obvious, even tho my mechanic works there and confirmed it), but they did explain that to me none the less. One thing I may have lucked out was that my car was too low to take a chance on the rollers, or even get up on the ramp, so they only did an idle test.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

also from what i have heard by putting a egr setup on the ze will somehow hurt the valves because it is now running "cooler" inert gasses and not the true "exhaust" gasses can anyone else confirm the theory?
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I doubt it, the Millenia is the same block/heads and it has EGR.
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

My ZE passed in Utah, even with two EGRs... It got lower emissions than my K8 ever did. It almost didnt pass because it was idling too high, but I just turned on the rear defroster and the rpms dropped.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

yeah...no....i havent been able to get mine to pass at all it failed with out a chance to pass and mine runs good w/ no problems
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

Maybe its cause you hollowed out your cat?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”