Winter Tires

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
RTT

Winter Tires

Post by RTT »

ok so i know everyone is gonna tell me that im crazy for even considering this but i am looking for winter tires for my mx-3 and need some help figuring out what size and a good brand/type to get. i dont have a winter beater and i dont have winter tires as of now...i wont be travelling far throughout the winter so they dont have to be awesome just as long as they keep me on the road.

all help is greatly appreciated. thanks all!!

RTT
Rob
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, as small of a diameter rim as you can fit. Going with your stock RS 14's or 15's would probably be best, as well, give you better choice in winter tire types and cheaper prices

Because of the low clearance of your bumper, i'd would probably be better to go with a wheel/tire diameter that is as tall as you can go. Your speedometer will show your going slower than you really are, but if you can get an extra inch in height, the less your call will be a snow plow

Narrow is better, your weight will be less spread, so the car will sink better into the snow, which is good because you want the tires to get it's traction from pavement, not snow.

In terms in which tire, basically even the cheapest winter will outperform the best all seasons. Not only in terms of thread for snow and ice, but even on pavement. Snow tires use a softer compound rubber, so they stick to pavement better than all seasons. As temperature drops, rubber becomes stiffer and grips the road less. Winter tires use a different rubber that will stay significantly softer in cold weather than all seasons. As opposed to what you may hear, winter tires do no wear out faster when driven on pavement (as opposed to snow, etc), they wear out faster in warmer temperatures. Because of the softer rubber, they become much softer in warm weather, so of course they wear out quicker.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

as for brands, i personally have Signet on my stock 15"
they were just under $400 installed after taxes, so to get some for 14's should b even cheaper.
sidebergless

Post by sidebergless »

I personally dont think your crazy for driving the car over the winter months. Just take a look this year at how many BMWs Lexus and porsches you see. Then think of me, my Mx is my winter beater and Im running some simple eagle GTs 205/55/15 perfectly fine for city winter conditions. also fine when I travel up north.
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

i think his question was directed to those of us who'v seen his ground clearance.
dude, you know u'r gonna help the city plow the roads w/ that.....unless it's perfectly dry, u'r getting some damage this winter.
neumann

Post by neumann »

If the pics on his cardomain page are current, apart form the external body kit, my car is lower and it is purely a winter car.

I am running Toyo Garit winter tires in 195/55/15 size making them just a touch smaller than stock in overall diameter,and with the aforementioned slightly narrower footprint many prefer for snow.

I paid about $470 CDN installed and balanced a year ago. I was initially going to put cheap winter tires on it but it would have save barely over $100. Since i hope to get 3 or 4 winters out of these tires I figured I might as well do it right.

My practice on cars has always been: toss winter tires on the stock rims and then buy bigger rims for summer rubber.
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

best advised look into getting a set of michlan x-ice i got a set for the x-90 and i'm running bigger tires than all of you and i paid only 375 installed they are pretty amazing i can get great traction in just rear wheel drive and i still havn't thrown in any kind of weight in the rear yet.

yes thats right i don't have my huge 12 in the back of this one had to go with a sealed 10 till i get the chance or time to go and ditch the spare and the make the my fiber glass a new box set up for the trunk, But thats for more warmer weather.

Reaper
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”