MX3s Can't Drift...Good!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Red Egg

MX3s Can't Drift...Good!

Post by Red Egg »

Since drift cars are usually sporty rear-wheel-drive cars, it is assumed that the front-wheel drive MX3 cannot drift like the Honda S2000, Miata, or RX7. This actually proves the advantage of front-wheel drive and its superior control. Films like "The Fast and the Furious, Toronto Drift" fail to show the benefits of front-wheel drive. Drifting is simply driving fast around corners without the complete control of a front-wheel drive. Driving on ice or snow provides the same effect; making snow donuts in a parking lot. The superior front-wheel drive control is one more advantage of the MX3. 8)
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

eh.. yes and no.. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages. I've driven a lot of cars and I think given how different each feels it's hard to see one as being better than the other. Not to mention AWD knocks them both out of the water.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

awd platform is pretty much best
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

everything had a disadvantage. Awd has the disadvantage of being heavier, as well as experiencing more power loss through the drivetrain.

FWD have the benefit of being ligher, and there is actually less power loss in the drive train
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

umm, first off the only reason we have front wheel drive cars is because they are more efficient........not because they are fast or handle well lol
93 mx-3 bp, CAI, msd blaster 2, ngk wires,NGK V-powers(just for limegreen). Pacesetter headers, no cat, cat-back 2.25" piping, autometer lunar A/F gauge, 800w 12" sub w/1600w amp. 3 way pioneer speakers all around
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

Front wheel drive is great on snow and ice; more of that in Ontario than in Arizona. :wink: The engine provides weight up front for better traction and fewer spin-outs in winter.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

talking about snow, AWD is best in snow (better than FWD)
excellent drag racing (DSM's own at drag racing)
excellent for rally racing
not very good for drifting, but with good driver they can be drifted
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Tropical Emerald 1993

Post by Tropical Emerald 1993 »

Most cars are FWD I guess because of handling and stability. I have no idea why RWD are built (except for drifting or prestige).
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Most cars are FWD I guess because of handling and stability. I have no idea why RWD are built (except for drifting or prestige).
You dont watch much in the way of racing do you? RWD cars have owned the race world forever and continue to do so. The ONLY racing venue where AWD cars are even used are rally races. NASCAR, INDY, DRAG.. all are owned by RWD cars. Yes there are FWD drag cars.. but even the fastest is still behind the RWD cars.

FWD cars are cheap to build.. reliable and offer good winter driving characteristics. AWD is better in the snow.. but FWD is still far superior to RWD when you need to get moving in the snow. And FWD is 1/4 the cost of AWD. Then there are the maintenance costs of AWD.

FWD cars are fun and cheap. But if racing is what you want.. stop dinking with FWD.. go AWD or RWD.. they rule the race tracks and FWD costs too much money to make consistently reliable to compete against either.

Its kinda of ridiculous to be looking for reasons to compliment yourselves because your car isnt good at doing something. FWD cars are commuter cars. They are not intended or designed for anything else. Money can change that of course but talking down RWD or AWD isnt going to change the fact that our MX-3's will never compete against them (With the exception of Josh's AWD MX.. I'd love to see the look on the DSM guys faces when that car rips them a new one LOL )

Does this mean our MX-3's suck? No.. they are a great car thats fun to drive and fairly reliable.. they can even be made fairly quick with small budgets. But with few exceptions.. They will never be real race cars.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

In rally racing, FWD beats RWD every time. For me, rally is a better test of a car's true performance than track/drag races with pit crews and controlled conditions. Naturally, AWD has better handling & power but not that much (for the cost) in my experience; I've driven all three drives.

RWD is a nightmare in the snow unless you have the engine in the trunk. :wink: FWD costs and weighs less, allows more interior space, and fishtails/drifts less.

If MX3 was a RWD, it would need a bigger engine and more hp to account for the added weight. It would have lower fuel economy and handle worse.

I think we all should pat ourselves on the back for having the wisdom to own MX3 FWD cars. 8)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I think we all should pat ourselves on the back for having the wisdom to own MX3 FWD cars.

You are insane and I now have the urge to sell my MX-3's and buy a MR2 or a porsche or a ferrari or a mazerati or a jaguar or just about any other performance car.. hmmm.. what a odd coincidence.. they are all Rwd cars.. I wonder why ferrari and porsche dont make Fwd cars?

MX-3's are fun commuter cars. You can even make them fairly fast little commuter cars.. their handling is good and they have excellent cargo capacity. And if that is the wisdom you are referring to.. then by all means.. pat yourself on the back. But if you think it comparable to a real performance car.. your nuts.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

I see your point (with the exception of me being insane :wink:). I'm just trying to have a debate here. You may have noticed that I think MX3s are great, so bear that in mind.

All those "performance" RWD cars that you mention cost a fortune and wouldn't necessarily beat a Mazda MX3 in a rally race. Ferrari and Maserati would eventually end up in the ditch as soon as they hit some dirt or gravel. A RWD MX3 may be your cup of tea, but it would not be mine.

We have different opinions of what is important in a car. Ford Focus, for example, is a great rally car. However, it would be destroyed in any track or drag race by any Maserati or Porsche. I'm not into that type of track racing so those cars don't impress me. The great thing about rally is that relatively inexpensive cars like Ford Focus can perform at an extremely high level and win.

I agree that MX-3's are fun commuter cars, but they could be fun rally cars as well.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Red Egg wrote:In rally racing, FWD beats RWD every time. For me, rally is a better test of a car's true performance than track/drag races with pit crews and controlled conditions. Naturally, AWD has better handling & power but not that much (for the cost) in my experience; I've driven all three drives.
HAHAHAHAHA... no. anything less than AWD in rally is silly. If my wheels are going to be constantly leaving the ground I want the most stable platform out there.
RWD is a nightmare in the snow unless you have the engine in the trunk. :wink: FWD costs and weighs less, allows more interior space, and fishtails/drifts less.
FWD is slightly better in snow, but at a safe speed theres no difference. And I don't see why having the engine in the trunk would make conditions better, if you wipe out I would think it would hinder you. And I don't get how they have less interior space, Rx7s have some good room in back. I used to ride around in the back of my uncles rx7 since my bro had shotgun. While it's true rwd tend to lose traction a little sooner, they are basically self correcting as long as they don't slide out too much.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Red Egg wrote:If MX3 was a RWD, it would need a bigger engine and more hp to account for the added weight. It would have lower fuel economy and handle worse.
Ever heard of the Mazda Miata?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

There are 2WD divisions in Rally Racing. Cars that you see in win the 2WD division are VW Jetta, Ford Focus, and Mazda 323; not the RWD performance supercars. 2WDs can enter the Open Division, but it would take a skilled driver to beat a 4WD Audi or Subaru. That's part of the fun. :D

The 2006 RWD Miata (MX5) has a 2.0 L 170 hp engine vs 130 hp in the 1.8 L MX3 V6. A stock FWD MX3 with 170 hp would be my choice between the two cars.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”