Looking for info on a possible 93 4 cyl purchase

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
thegreatone

Looking for info on a possible 93 4 cyl purchase

Post by thegreatone »

Hello, This is my first post on this forum. I was wondering if some of you knowledgeable individuals may be able to help me. I am looking to buy a cheap car right now and a friend has a 93 4 cyl mx3 for sale. He is asking $1500 Canadian for it and I am wondering if it is a good deal based on the following information.

93 MX3 4 Cyl
5 speed
He did the waterpump and timing belt about 2 years ago. (he did this himself)
I am told that it needs new CV joints.
It apparently needs a piece of the exhaust welded. (He told me it was easy)
It has new all season tires
203,000KM on the car (Last 50K were driven on the highway by him)

I am wondering if there is any other info that I need to ask and if there is anything else that I should be looking for. I am planning on driving it on a short roadtrip that will be from Canada to Louisville Ky and then to Miami and then back to Canada. I need something reliable and something that will last me for a while even after I return to Canada. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
hharb

Post by hharb »

ok, first of all i don't think it's a very good deal. to be honest with you, for a little more you could get a much better car possibly a ZE or a car with tones of upgrades. I got my v6 GS for 1400 and it had tones of upgrades. I don't recommend buying a 4 cylinder especially at that mileage. Things i would look for in the car are brakes, ball joints, rotors, exhaust leaks, engine light, oil leaks, oil burns, belts check if they're good, etc. but my overall advice to you is not to buy this car. goodluck
Last edited by hharb on November 20th, 2006, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubsy83

CV Joints

Post by bubsy83 »

I just bought a MX-3 over a week ago and it's in the shop to get safetied as we speak. Not to scare you, but for 1 cv Joint to be replaced is going to cost upwards to $200. rounded off. Now if there is any luck it just needs to be greased and the hub replaced for $27.00...I am still waiting to find out. Hope this info is helpful. I am by far not an expert on MX-3's, and find this site very informative, but I thought that I would share with you a little info on my experience thus far. Good luck finding the right MX-3, cause you are going to ;ove it. :-)
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

if he fixed the cv's and welded that spot then I would say $1500 is good
Boris

Post by Boris »

I got my mx3 for $750 and it had under 180 000km on it. Same model as yours. I did have to replace a few things such as breaks, and some valves, but I still ended up paying less than $1200 to have a safetied and emmission tested mx3.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I want a bp mx3 :(
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”