RX-7 AIR FLOW METER

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Gottagofaster

RX-7 AIR FLOW METER

Post by Gottagofaster »

I just put a RX-7 MAF on my 1.8bp.....and My throttle response and low end power are gone.......I have no idea why this would be happening....
after you hit 5k it pulls harder than it did with the old maf but before that it's really slugish....
any ideas?
thanks
Kurt
93 mx-3 bp, CAI, msd blaster 2, ngk wires,NGK V-powers(just for limegreen). Pacesetter headers, no cat, cat-back 2.25" piping, autometer lunar A/F gauge, 800w 12" sub w/1600w amp. 3 way pioneer speakers all around
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

thats just the way performance is u can't have the best of both worlds. ur problay going to have to adjust it there is a write up on it but u'll have to find becasue i have to lookfor it too.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

Ok i advanced my timing....as far as the bolts would allow..but that didnt' help enough so took out the bolts and advanced it until i thought it ran right. Jury rigged it to stay in place....i took it for a a spin...and now the low end power is back but the high end doesn't really kick like it did earlier lol....
~so i guess your right....I would like a middle ground for daily driving
93 mx-3 bp, CAI, msd blaster 2, ngk wires,NGK V-powers(just for limegreen). Pacesetter headers, no cat, cat-back 2.25" piping, autometer lunar A/F gauge, 800w 12" sub w/1600w amp. 3 way pioneer speakers all around
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Gottagofaster wrote:Ok i advanced my timing....as far as the bolts would allow..but that didnt' help enough so took out the bolts and advanced it until i thought it ran right. Jury rigged it to stay in place....i took it for a a spin...and now the low end power is back but the high end doesn't really kick like it did earlier lol....
~so i guess your right....I would like a middle ground for daily driving
u have to mess around with the VAF u din't have to advance the timing like the way u did it put back to normal before u f U* K it up.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

haha i will do it...imediatly lol.....what am i going to f*ck up?
I searched for the write-up didn't really find anything i'll keep on looking...
you got any ideas?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i'll be looking for the info to and will link u as soon as i find u. but i also tried was convert the rx-7 eletroanics and swap in the BP vaf eletronics. but u have to know what ur doing or i wouldn't advice u doing it.
Last edited by Limegreen mx-3 on November 15th, 2006, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

OH so your saying i need to rip into my vaf's and put the electronics from my BP vaf into my Rx-7 vaf?
that would make a lot of sense
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

ok well i put the timing back to what it was with My Bp vaf.....but i had the rx-7 vaf on there...i tried something out and this was truely amazing....using this vaf it shifted the power band to 5500 rpms to about 7000...which is really short but it pulls soooo hard there that I love it...i'm not sure this is good for my car....I wanna use this vaf correctly...I really need some help.....
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:thats just the way performance is u can't have the best of both worlds. ur problay going to have to adjust it there is a write up on it but u'll have to find becasue i have to lookfor it too.

The VAF makes a diffrence over 3k, you just have to tune it.

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:i'll be looking for the info to and will link u as soon as i find u. but i also id was convert the rx-7 eletroanics and swap in the BP vaf eletronics. but u have to know what ur doing or i wouldn't advice u doing it.
This is a bit overkill, it will also be off and not really read correctly either.

Just to save everyone a bit of heartache and a littel bit of time there is an execent source of information for tuneing the VAF out there as is.

http://members.aol.com/solomiata/airflowmtr.html
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Gottagofaster wrote:OH so your saying i need to rip into my vaf's and put the electronics from my BP vaf into my Rx-7 vaf?
that would make a lot of sense
I tried or apporch two different setups one i manage to get the RX-7 vaf to at least work ok with the BP and the other

I modified a another RX-7 vaf with BP vaf eletronics which in fact i got a 15.6@87 with that hybrid rx-7 vaf hauseing with the bp maf eltriicals.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

torpedan wrote:

Limegreen mx-3 wrote: but i also tried was convert the rx-7 eletroanics and swap in the BP vaf eletronics. using the larger rx-7 vaf hausing .
This is a bit overkill, it will also be off and not really read correctly either.
considering form someone who has taken the time to mess around with the RX-7 VAF and at least had them working fairly ok. using the bp vaf compents in the RX-7 vaf hausing worked fine idled good but i did have to move that large gear to have it working like it should. so in esence it did not read correcly at first but nothing that a little bit of trinking can't help. once i got that taken care off never had issues ran a 15.6@87 with that hybrid rx-7/bp vaf.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

yo here Gottagofaster found the link so read up and please mark the orginal setting before u modify the RX-7 vaf or u'll never have a starting point. happen to me once here the link

http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38

so read up
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:
torpedan wrote:

Limegreen mx-3 wrote: but i also tried was convert the rx-7 eletroanics and swap in the BP vaf eletronics. using the larger rx-7 vaf hausing .
considering form someone who has taken the time to mess around with the RX-7 VAF and at least had them working fairly ok. using the bp vaf compents in the RX-7 vaf hausing worked fine idled good but i did have to move that large gear to have it working like it should. so in esence it did not read correcly at first but nothing that a little bit of trinking can't help. once i got that taken care off never had issues ran a 15.6@87 with that hybrid rx-7/bp vaf.
So what your saying is that neither VAF's read correctly untill they are adjusted?
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

torpedan wrote:
Limegreen mx-3 wrote:
torpedan wrote:

So what your saying is that neither VAF's read correctly untill they are adjusted?
if the boot fits then u would know
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

oh thanks a lot limegreen thats an awesome writeup...you can def feel hte 5hp pull

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”