Temp Gauge

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Selecta

Temp Gauge

Post by Selecta »

My temp gauge is off the chart high...but I just had the water pump replaced etc and the car is running fine would it be my cluster that is broken? Cause if you slap the top of the dash the gauge does come back to normal for a bit before jumping back up to max.
Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
hharb

Post by hharb »

u could try and use some other cluster see if it solves your problem and then take it from there.. i have an extra one i would've lent it to you if you were in ottawa
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Thanks for the info...will give it a shot and see how that plays out. Cause I drove it all day today and it ran perfectly fine.

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Uday, perhaps you didn't purge all of the air out of the system when you topped her up. The interior heat selection should be set to on, the filler cap left off while engine is running until the coolant reaches the point where the thermostat opens. That way you can visually see the level rise and fall in the filler neck based on physically moving the throttle by hand to assist the level to drop slightly. After sufficiently warmed up, elevating the rpms by hand and constantly topping the coolant at which point when the fluid wants to overflow from the filler neck, replace the cap. The occasional extreme deflections of the temp gauge could have been caused by the coolant thermosensor encountering an air pocket. Since the thermosensors are co-located by the filler neck, and that spot being the highest elevation of the cooling system, it's natural for the air pockets to gradually make their way to the highest point (the coolant thermosensor area).
Hope this helps. :wink:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Uday, perhaps you didn't purge all of the air out of the system when you topped her up. The interior heat selection should be set to on, the filler cap left off while engine is running until the coolant reaches the point where the thermostat opens. That way you can visually see the level rise and fall in the filler neck based on physically moving the throttle by hand to assist the level to drop slightly. After sufficiently warmed up, elevating the rpms by hand and constantly topping the coolant at which point when the fluid wants to overflow from the filler neck, replace the cap. The occasional extreme deflections of the temp gauge could have been caused by the coolant thermosensor encountering an air pocket. Since the thermosensors are co-located by the filler neck, and that spot being the highest elevation of the cooling system, it's natural for the air pockets to gradually make their way to the highest point (the coolant thermosensor area).
Hope this helps. Wink
Thanks John will give it a shot and let you know if it worked.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”