Black dust from exhaust

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
5speedMX

Black dust from exhaust

Post by 5speedMX »

Since I changed from a stock to a more freeflowing muffler i've been getting alot of carbon dust on the back of my car. Is this normal or is there something wrong. The plugs are clean no carbon on them. The temp gauge doesn't quite go up to the middle. Could it be running a little to cold?
thanx
It ain't done 'til it's done right.
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

It's nothing to really worry about. all cars do it when they get older. it did it with your stock exhuast too probably, but this one is more free flowing so now it's more noticable. it's normal so no worries. mine smokes and i don't really burn any oil between oil changes and i still get 37 mpg and my bumper gets covered like yours.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

This is actually normal but you wont see it being built up in a stock application. The muffler does not exit far enough past the bumper and the gasses are allowed to pass close enough to the bumper to cause depostits, extend your exsaut another inch or thre eand it will fix the problem, or just clean your car more often.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
5speedMX

Post by 5speedMX »

Thanx! I guess I'll just have to wash it more. my cars white so it shows alot. I'll be getting a CAI this week. Can't wait to get it in the car!!!
It ain't done 'til it's done right.
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

I have a similar problem.....My car is running really rich.....Exhaust smells like gasoline......
93 mx-3 bp, CAI, msd blaster 2, ngk wires,NGK V-powers(just for limegreen). Pacesetter headers, no cat, cat-back 2.25" piping, autometer lunar A/F gauge, 800w 12" sub w/1600w amp. 3 way pioneer speakers all around

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”