Does this sound right?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tehbrookzorz

Does this sound right?

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I was at the muffler shop the other day, and they've always been shy about giving me an actual quote on a stainless exhaust.

I finally got them to give me a quote on stainless straight-pipe. They asked me what size, and I said either 2-1/4 or 2-1/2, undecided. They said $2.00 an inch, but I'd have to buy a 10 foot length of the pipe because they couldn't sell it once it's been cut.

So I'd be looking at $240 Canadian for piping, and then I'd have to order some stainless U-J mandrel bends. http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/p ... 71a7a4ce8a

So after that, I'm looking at around $140 for a high-flow stainless cat, and $100 for a stainless muffler. I haven't figured out what kind of resonator I'll be looking at, but hopefully stainless.

With headers, this is getting pricey. Am I on the right track here or should I look for something aluminized.

I'm concerned with performance for my future ZE swap (to be honest I probably won't do the exhaust until after). I'm also concerned about my climate. The car does see some winter driving so I want to make sure I don't rust my exhaust off after one season.

Thoughts?
Cody
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

that price is about right, my ze screams and has tons of top end power. I got it done 60 dllrs :P but yeah people have been known to be quoted over 300 dllrs. thatys a good price. What are their warranties?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

that price is about right, my ze screams and has tons of top end power. I got it done 60 dllrs :P but yeah people have been known to be quoted over 300 dllrs. thatys a good price. What are their warranties?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Seems a bit high to me. Check out CorkSports recent enquiry into who would be interested in a SS cat back 2 1/4 for the V6. I think they said somewhere closer to 300 for the whole thing.
As for how it will hold up- SS doesn't rust and so if you use SS bolts and nuts it should be just fine.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

PATDIESEL wrote:Seems a bit high to me. Check out CorkSports recent enquiry into who would be interested in a SS cat back 2 1/4 for the V6. I think they said somewhere closer to 300 for the whole thing.
As for how it will hold up- SS doesn't rust and so if you use SS bolts and nuts it should be just fine.

nope does'nt rust just corode, Not all stainless is created equally.

316 is better than 304 which is a lot cheaper.
all welds need to be pickled and passivated for a decent life
and for really good welds the whole system should be back flushed
with argon when welded. Tig not mig!
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

That is good to know Kiwi, now I need to find someone to make one for me...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

i just got my exhaust done from cat back
i got magnaflow high flow cat from ebay for 75 can and 2.5" pipe put in for $211 so pretty much $300 installed thats with my old exhaust on the end at budget brake and muffler all pipe and cat aluminized
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”