Help ordering custom Pistons (NO Wiseco)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Help ordering custom Pistons (NO Wiseco)

Post by Spinkx79 »

I need some help....I've been waiting to order forged pistons for almost a year now, I dont want to get the Weisco's due to the valve pocket and ring land problems others have had. I want something realiable and strong as hell...I do plan to boost and spray and am building accordingly.

I know there are many companies that will make custom setups, but im not sure how I would go about telling them exactly what I need. I can give them some basic info like its a 2.5l v6 out of a 97 Probe GT but I dont have the info on detailed specs, like the PT millenia H-Beam rods I have from a BB, I dont know what to tell them about the wrist pins...to tell you the truth i dont really know what "full floating wrist pins" means? Or the Colt Cams (turbo), would they need the lifts and durations and all other cam info? Do i need to know what head gasket i will be using? I know it will be mls gaskets but not sure which brand yet.

Here's what i have so far engine wise:

97 KL Block
Millenia H Beams
ARP head and block studs
Colt Cams (turbo grind)
Curved neck IM
67mm TB
M62 SC
Interprep springs
DE retainers
ZE heads
MBX fpr

I do not have gaskets or bearings yet.

I have my fuel and ignition covered already.

I just got the book "How to tune and modify engine management systems" by Jeff Hartman. Once im through that i will get an EMS, prob not a Mega squirt but well see.

If anyone has any helping info on this topic it would be greatly appreciated, i would like to get my piston headaches dealt with so i can move on to start the assembly over the winter.

Much appreciated :wink:
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

id get some JE pistons there proven to be one of the best just send a stock pison into them and they can take the dimensions and they will custom make a forged piston for you just specify what c/r u want and bore size.. maybe even tell them to ask wiseco cuz wiseco has the dimensions needed already maybe some other company can get the dimensions from them if wiseco will let them have it all lol

o u have millenia rods?? i beleive the piston pin diamter hole in that is 1mm larger bore so u will have to tell the the piston pin hole in the piston will have to be 1mm larger

im not sure if its both millenias that have the larger piston pin or just the millenia S
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

its just the millenia S that has the larger piston pin.

and you have de retainers. why didn't you go with interprep or CZT. there not much more and can take revs well past 10k rpm's
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

mx3autozam wrote:its just the millenia S that has the larger piston pin.
These are not regular milennia S rods they are 4340 forged H beam rods, the S rods are in the middle of the pics:

mx3autozam wrote:and you have de retainers. why didn't you go with interprep or CZT. there not much more and can take revs well past 10k rpm's
I have new DE retainers, to go with new interprep springs which will allow a higher redline. I didnt think i needed titanium retainers, as long as i dont use the ZE retainers i think ill be fine.

In doing a little searching last night i found a this order form:

http://www.brcpistons.com/order_form.html

I do have the MX-3 manual but not the Probe, any help with stock 2.5l specs would be helpful.

Thanks
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

holy fack that rod is beefy! :shock:
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

fieromx3 wrote:holy fack that rod is beefy! :shock:
You'd still find a way to break it :lol:
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

are the h beam rods longer then the 2.5 or 2.3 or is it just the photoshop? Looking at that photo the h beam wouldnt work at that length without moving the wrist pin up on the piston.

I suspect its just photoshopped together though. Am I right?
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

mx3autozam wrote:
fieromx3 wrote:holy fack that rod is beefy! :shock:
You'd still find a way to break it :lol:
LOL so true!! :twisted:
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

johnnyb wrote:are the h beam rods longer then the 2.5 or 2.3 or is it just the photoshop? Looking at that photo the h beam wouldnt work at that length without moving the wrist pin up on the piston.

I suspect its just photoshopped together though. Am I right?
Im running a 5.4" H beam so in theory its 0.025 shorter than the stock
rods so yes photoshop sizing.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: Help ordering custom Pistons (NO Wiseco)

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Spinkx79 wrote:I need some help....I've been waiting to order forged pistons for almost a year now, I dont want to get the Weisco's due to the valve pocket and ring land problems others have had. I want something realiable and strong as hell...I do plan to boost and spray and am building accordingly.
Wiseco has corrected that problem if this is the only thing keeping you from going Wiseco.
I just got another set done for a friend and I think it came up to around 600$.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Re: Help ordering custom Pistons (NO Wiseco)

Post by Spinkx79 »

babyblueMX3 wrote:Wiseco has corrected that problem if this is the only thing keeping you from going Wiseco.
I just got another set done for a friend and I think it came up to around 600$.
Oh Yeah? I knew they would be able to fix the valve pocket locations, but what about the thin ring lands? I do plan on putting boost to these and pushing them hard....I really just want to avoid doing all this work and spending all sorts of cash and then run into problems like you and Janz99 did.

Both of you had an influence on my project, and both of you have since had major enough problems to make you give up and move to something else.

Im in too deep $$ to stop...As much as $600 sounds nice, im not opposed to pay a little more for peace of mind. I paid close to that for my rods and right around there for my head & block studs.

What sort of setup is your friend running (N/A or Boosted)? Is he on the road yet?
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

kiwi_MX3 wrote:Im running a 5.4" H beam so in theory its 0.025 shorter than the stock rods so yes photoshop sizing.
These are not the 5.4" rods that "Porsche??" talks about on PT, these are the 4340 Millenia H Beams from the BB on PT last year.

But yes i would think it is the same height as the 2.3l rod, as it was built to those specs.

Which pistons did you choose?
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

So nobody has ordered custom pistons?

And no one is using anything other than Wiseco's?

:dunno:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”