Tranny swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
BlackedOutMX3

Tranny swap

Post by BlackedOutMX3 »

Hey all, My name is Rick and I'm new to the site. I have been trying to get on here for like a week now, but anyways.....I had a question on the manual trannys for my car. It is a 1992 Mazda mx-3 with the 1.6 sohc, my problem is that I have gone through 2 trannys now and would like to install a stronger one. Will a Pro LX tranny bolt up to this motor? What other choices do I have?

P.S. Sorry if this has been answered before, but i tried to search....with no luck.
-Rick-

(black) 1992 Mazda MX-3 1.6 sohc, 5-speed
Black CAI, painted black valve cover and MAF, MSD blaster 2 coil, Accel 8mm wires, chrome Mazdaspeed oil cap, strut tower bar, larger 1.8 Protege TB with Intake manifold ported to match, Yellow top Optima, short throw shifter, guages/cluster, headlight eye lids, etc.
1/4 mile @ 17 sec. flat :(
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

yes.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
BlackedOutMX3

Post by BlackedOutMX3 »

can I use my old axles?
-Rick-

Black CAI, painted black valve cover and MAF, MSD blaster 2 coil, Accel 8mm wires, chrome Mazdaspeed oil cap, strut tower bar, larger 1.8 Protege TB with Intake manifold ported to match, Yellow top Optima, short throw shifter, guages/cluster, headlight eye lids, etc.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Use the axles designed for the tranny you are using.
~Perry
Please visit
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Other things you may need from a Protege LX to complete this swap:

Flywheel

Clutch

starter

slave cylinder

top tranny mount & bracket (drivers side)

I am pretty sure that a clutch for the SOHC will not work on the 1.8 tranny due to different spline counts. So if you get the clutch for the BP, then you will also need the flywheel & starter.
~Perry
Please visit
Boris

Post by Boris »

I'm pretty sure that you can use the 1.6L Miata flywheel and clutch too... I know that the flywheel will bolt on, and I have heard and researched to find out whether the 1.6L Miata clutch will work on the prolx tranny and supposedly it will...but I don't trust anything till I try it myself. The good thing about the 1.6L stuff working is you can buy a lightened flywheel for a reasonable price.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

atlantamx3 wrote:yes.
It won't work, unless you modify the jack-shaft to bolt onto the back of the block. There's only one person on the UBB that I know of who has done the swap.
BlackedOutMX3 wrote:Hey all, My name is Rick and I'm new to the site. I have been trying to get on here for like a week now, but anyways.....I had a question on the manual trannys for my car. It is a 1992 Mazda mx-3 with the 1.6 sohc, my problem is that I have gone through 2 trannys now and would like to install a stronger one. Will a Pro LX tranny bolt up to this motor? What other choices do I have?

P.S. Sorry if this has been answered before, but i tried to search....with no luck.

I would suggest a trans from a later model Protege 95+. What went wrong with the previous 2 gearbox's? You should not be breaking these with a SOHC 1.6. What's your driving style like??
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Boris wrote:I'm pretty sure that you can use the 1.6L Miata flywheel and clutch too... I know that the flywheel will bolt on, and I have heard and researched to find out whether the 1.6L Miata clutch will work on the prolx tranny and supposedly it will...but I don't trust anything till I try it myself. The good thing about the 1.6L stuff working is you can buy a lightened flywheel for a reasonable price.
The 1.6 and 1.8 components will not interchange. The clutch diameters are different btwn the 2.
BlackedOutMX3

Post by BlackedOutMX3 »

1.6 trannys are known to have weak differentials, the first time it went out I had been running it hard (drag strip) and the second time it lasted a few months, but went out for no reason in the middle of fourth gear, just cruising. Believe me, I know how to drive a stick though man if that's what you're wondering. I plan on a BP-T motor swap soon, and I might as well put a tranny in that can be used in the swap.
-Rick-

BlackedOutMX3

Post by BlackedOutMX3 »

but anywho......I'll need the protege lx tranny, flywheel, clutch, axles, starter, tranny mount and bracket......the slave cylinder comes on the tranny anyways, right? anything else?

thanks bruthas
-Rick-

atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

jaydog5678 wrote:
atlantamx3 wrote:yes.
It won't work, unless you modify the jack-shaft to bolt onto the back of the block. There's only one person on the UBB that I know of who has done the swap.
hmmm didnt think of that....
~Perry
Please visit
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

BlackedOutMX3 wrote:but anywho......I'll need the protege lx tranny, flywheel, clutch, axles, starter, tranny mount and bracket......the slave cylinder comes on the tranny anyways, right? anything else?

thanks bruthas

If you're planning on going with a BP-T, then yes, the Protege trans is a good and robust gearbox. I can't seem to break one, even with 340hp. You don't need a new starter. The Mx-3's starter will work.
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

yeh i blew 2 trannies too, and i can drive a stick fine, the 3rd time i had the one tranny completely rebuilt by a shop nearby, they replaced alot of the gears and synchro's, this thing is amazing still, over 5k miles later, and really smooth still....
BlackedOutMX3

Post by BlackedOutMX3 »

All the shops around where I live said that they won't rebuild my tranny and that it'd be too expensive anyways, I couldn't find anyone that would. But yeah, thanks for the info on the tranny swap!
-Rick-

atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

~Perry
Please visit

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”