Sparkplug Wires

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
*Y*

Sparkplug Wires

Post by *Y* »

Hey guys,

Is there a big difffence between the different brands of sparkplug wires. If there is, what is it and what are some good brands?

Thanks in advance.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

Yes, there is a difference. the baseline ones run about $50-$60 and will probably work fine for most people since they have a lifetime replacment warrantee; however, if you are running a high-performance setup with turbo, nos, or are just trying to tune it really well, it is a better idea to go with higher quality wires like MSD (~$100). The most expensive I've seen are the Nology's. Those claim to have capacitors that effectively give a spark either 300% or 300 times more powerful than stock (I would tend to think 300%). Those run about $170 but I don't know a lot about them. So, if it's just a stock car and you don't wanna spend too much, you can get the cheap ones, but, I would recommend the MSDs (there are other brands that are around the same price and quality too).
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
*Y*

Post by *Y* »

Are Bosch sparkplugs wires any good?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Bosch will be fine for a normal tune car. NGK is another good brand. It is what Mazda uses on them stock. Magnacore wires are also good wires if you want a good spark and long life wire.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

The blue NGK's are what I've always used.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I dont know about Bosche plug wires.. I use NGK for both my MX-3's. However.. Bosche Spark plugs.. especially the platinum 4+4 things.. SUCK! Dont use them unless you are boosting. They run too cool for Naturally Aspriated engines and you will end up with an excessive amount of carbon build up on the valves and pistons. This ends up having a rich condition since your fuel mixture isnt completely ignited.. so your O2 sensors tell the ECU to lean out your mixture and retard your timing.. so you get crappy performance as well. They suck.. any sales person at any auto parts store that recommends them for naturally aspirated applications should be B*tch slapped and sterilized. Ok.. excessive I know.. but I hates them ;) LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
max kl

Post by max kl »

thats pretty weird man. i do prefer ngk plugs but have never had the conditon you just decribed with the bosch +4 plugs.
as to the orignal topic NGK all the way and if you cant get them go for the most expensive ones offerd by your local jobber.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yeah sorry I got off topic a bit.. I found the condition I described in both my GS and my Truck.. Both had those plugs in them and all kinds of carbon build up.. They are great for boost applications according to my machinist.. but run to cool for excellent consistant ignition in NA apps.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

WOW W.T.F. those are really not the prices we get down in the dirty south..... stock wires 100....STOCK.....where can you get the msd's..... are you sure 100???????
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
666raCing

Post by 666raCing »

i'm lookin around on http://www.summitracing.com and i cant find any NGK spark plug wires that can fit an MX-3. I know they do because the person who owned my car previously put them on the car that i'm driving now. for instance, can MX-6 wires fit on the MX-3?
max kl

Post by max kl »

mx6 and probe wires fit but the back 3 wires are to long[/list]
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I agree on the Bosch plat 4s, they stink. Saw the same thing with my Sister's Sentra. It think it is b/c the spark is not very exposed to the air/fuel mixture.
Get regular plugs made by a good company. I use Denso or NGK plugs and NGK wires. I usually buy the MX-6 wires since they are alot easier to find. They are longer and don't loos as good since they bunch up around the disty cap, but it is a small price to pay since I would rather not spend the time trying to find the freek'n wires. Also, if you run the MX-6 wires around the left side of the intake, the way that a stock MX-6 does, instead of down the right side of the intake, like the MX-3, then the MX-6 wires fit perfectly. A quick stop at a junk yard or MX-6 or Porbe forum should get you some plug holders for the left side for less than 10 bucks.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

so are these the motha foos i need or what http://www.shopatron.com/product/produc ... 2989/424.0
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

There has been many posts on this subject with suggested types, brands and where to source them and the cost. For the most part that info is still valid and still available via a search. As a new member it's a good idea to get real comfortable with the search function as there are loads of excellent reference material for our cars at our finger tips.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

If you get the mx-6 wires, and have the ambition, you can shorten them. I did on my mx-3 wires for less resistance. I cut them to length with a razor, then used needle-nose pliers to get the metal piece off the disty side. Be sure to stick the metal clip back in to the core before clamping the end back on, and bend the teeth back in. I've been doing this with wires for many years. I removed about 3 feet of wire from stock.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”