fuel line ripped

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

fuel line ripped

Post by Bumpysbro »

hey guys ran into a problem, my input fuel line that goes to the regulator just ripped today and gas went everywhere, big puttle over my intake mani and sprayed all over everything. you guys have any ideas what would cause the line just to rip right open? ive noticed lately that i get a whining from the back of the car, i just replaced the fuel pump not even a month ago. this car doesnt seem to like me lol
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Faulty line, undue stress, or abrasion of the line. Look at the point where it severd. Was it a tear, did ti look cut, does it look like it was rubbed down and has a sorta U shaped dug into it?

As for the whining, just because its new does not mean its going to work or be good ;)
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: fuel line ripped

Post by cjthor »

Bumpysbro wrote:hey guys ran into a problem, my input fuel line that goes to the regulator just ripped today and gas went everywhere, big puttle over my intake mani and sprayed all over everything. you guys have any ideas what would cause the line just to rip right open? ive noticed lately that i get a whining from the back of the car, i just replaced the fuel pump not even a month ago. this car doesnt seem to like me lol
If you have whining from the tank there is either a plugged line or blockage. I would guess the line possibly burst from overpressure. Check the tank screen. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

no i wish i did. im going to open it up tomorrow and see what i can find.

torpedan: it looked like a tear the hose had 2 layers and the other layer was basically torn open like a cut from a razor and the inner hosing was coming apart.

oh when i take the fuel pump out again do i have to buy a new rubber seal? hah i waited like 16 days for that stupid thing to come in lol
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well got the pump out and the strainer is fine clean as it could be. i guess would be the pump now, heres the weird thing. i wanted to de pressure the fuel system so i disconnected the fuel pump connecter cranked the engine about 6 times and then i noticed there was still fuel getting to the car. with it disconnected the car ran for like 45 seconds and idled. and i left it over night and fuel just leaked out of my fuel rail for like 8 hours lost alot. which means there was pressure still coming from the pump with the battery disconnected the fuel connecter as well. any ideas? ima put on my old fuel pump and see if its works. thanks guys

oh and we figured out that it was the combination of high fuel pressure and a crappy line that caused it to either blow or rip. it was a crappy made autozone fuel line lol figures my stock ones work better that are 11 years old lol.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well i got my new marshall gauge on and now it only reads 35psi without the vac line on and 25psi with it on. but when i try and change the pressure the gauge doesnt show anything different. i tried my old pump and my new pump. still the same thing. any ideas? haha
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well i put my new pump on today and with a new fuel filter still only reads 20psi and 35psi when i take the vacuum hose off and put it on. any ideas? i didnt messw the screw in the back of the gauge, and its a new regulator.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

Bumpysbro wrote: and i left it over night and fuel just leaked out of my fuel rail for like 8 hours lost alot. which means there was pressure still coming from the pump with the battery disconnected the fuel connecter as well. any ideas? ima put on my old fuel pump and see if its works. thanks guys
you were leaking gas because the entire tank was pressurized. the pump wasn't doing anything. you know when you take the gas cap off and you hear the pressurized air come out? it's just like that but this time it was pushing your fuel out since the fuel system was no longer sealed. if you would have unscrewed your gas cap the fuel would have stopped leaking. same thing happened to me when i was doing my bpt swap.

you should post a pic of where you have your guage connected.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ahh ok kool now i know, just never had to result to opening the gas cap to relieve the pressure in the line before. thanks im takin my car in today having the pressure checked.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”