Protoge ECU Question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Timmie_g

Protoge ECU Question

Post by Timmie_g »

Hey guys i was just wondering where the ECU is located on a 92-94 protoge. Also if i am putting it in my mx do i need a manual transmission protoge ECU for my manual mx, or does the tranny matter??
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

the ECU is located under the radio/ashtray, on the floor by the firewall.

Best to get the MTX ECU.
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

are you using the ecu from an LX or an SOHC?

if i were you i would get the MAF too more air flow, its not needed. but i would get the 2nd Gen N/A RX7 MAF (VAF). its alot bigger, alot better airflow, a few more ponies
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

I hope to be using the lx model ECU my engine is a DOHC so im sure they would work better together. To be honest i hadnt even thought of a SOHC ECU.

Yea the airflow meter is a Vane type ive looked into this already.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Timmie_g wrote:I hope to be using the lx model ECU my engine is a DOHC so im sure they would work better together. To be honest i hadnt even thought of a SOHC ECU.

Yea the airflow meter is a Vane type ive looked into this already.
If u are going to use a 90-94 protege LX ecu on a 94+dohc mx-3 it will not work.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

Well i heard of people using BP ECU's to raise redline and also to et a slight increase in hp. That is why i am trying to do it as well, which ECU will i need to use to accomplish this or is there such a thing??
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

I forgot to let everyone know that mine is a 95 1.6L DOHC MTX
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

i thought you were swapping in a BP engine... i'm guessing the 95+ MX models have OBD2...might try a 95 Protege BP ECU. Although they are kinda hard to find with the BP engines.

Protege SOHC ECUs can be used, but ya have to tweek the harness and add a few wires.

I'm not all that familiar with the characteristics of the 1.6 engine, so this may or may not work. But atleast it's something to look into.
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Timmie_g wrote:Well i heard of people using BP ECU's to raise redline and also to et a slight increase in hp. That is why i am trying to do it as well, which ECU will i need to use to accomplish this or is there such a thing??
Thats why i said what i said that works on the 92-93 sohc mx-3 using a 90-94 pro lx ecu will work on these model type's

IT will wot work on the 94+ dohc mx-3 models why the

Years ago i but a 94+ ecu in my 93 sohc it turn on but ran like s--- and vice versa i all put a 93 pro lx ecu in my 93 sohc and it ran fiine no issues i put the same ecu in the 94 mx-3 and car did't even start.

there was a post where the guy mod. the 94+ecu and rasied the rev limit. serch around. i found it so i know u can to laters i can't do all the work for u good luck
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... limit++mx3

here tought i be nice to u laters

Limegreen MX-3
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

man you're my hero thank you so much, i came across that thread once before but i couldnt remember where. You're a life saver.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”