Oil Pressure

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
slimsmedley

Oil Pressure

Post by slimsmedley »

i have an autometer oil pressure guage installed and was wondering if anyone could give me an explantaion of the vary oil pressures i have experienced. During startup of pressure is around 60psi (high obviously), then after idling for a while it drops to 20psi which seems fairly normal. When i have the car serviced with new oil it runs at 65-75psi on startup, then 25-30psi on idle after warming. It receives the correct amount of oil. After a few hundred kms it drops again. Why do i have this variance?? Am i buring oil slowly? it doesn't seem to smoke at all, and i have no oil leaks under the car...
1994 Eunos 30x Sports
blaze red, Jap KL-DE 2.5 V6 conversion, KL28 ecu, Auto to Manual gearbox conversion, lightened flywheel, Top Gun leads, aftermarket radiator, Elf engine oil and filters, 2 1/4" cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with carbon fibre/stainless steel muffler and 4" tip, Pioneer sound system, 17" SSW rims, 101.3 wheel k/watts @ 6500rpm
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Colder oil is thicker oil. Thicker oil gives higher pressure readings.

Older oil gets contaminated over time with gasoline and water. Those are thinner than oil, so hence lower readings.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”