Need some input

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Need some input

Post by johnnyb »

Today my charge light decided to come on. The weird part is that it dims at idle and gets brighter as i rev the car up. I believe its the alternator but I want to get other peoples opinions before i change it.

I have the 110 amp alternator that came with my ZE and was going to put it on but I just wanted to get my car running so i went with the K8. If you guys confirm that my problem is the alternator I'll just go ahead and swap it out.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Sounds like the voltage regulator is going. It is a part of the alt and thus replace the whole alt. You cna have the alt checked at the auto parts store before you acutally buy the new one to make sure that the alt is bad. Ask then to take a look at the voltage regulator too.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Jerry Jarreau

voltage regulater and alternator, 1 unit?

Post by Jerry Jarreau »

If the voltage regulator is part of the alternator then why is it listed as a seperate part on autozone?

"Voltage Regulator for a
1993 Mazda MX-3
Item Part
No.
Warranty Core Value Unit
Price Availability
Store Web
WELLS VR859 3 MO $78.99"

Just curious, as I think mine may be bad as well... as you can probably tell, I am no mechanic, but with my financial situation I am having to learn.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've never seen it listed as a seperate part. I know it is incorporated into the alt though. Perhaps you can get to it easily and replace it, but for the trouble I'd just get a whole new alt.
note: there are also aftermarket voltage regulators that have been used to success. Some have even gained dyno proven HP from using a aftermarket voltage regulator. They can be added as a substitute to the factory one or inline with the factory one.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
chertel

Post by chertel »

Sorry I need some input too but on something else. I notice my idle is fine till I put my heater on then it goes up and down slowly over and over........? Is this just because of a bad ground somewhere?
Just didnt want to start a new thread on a small question
thanx.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

mine was doing that.. what was it? the nut to the alternator was loose..was dpoing the exact same thing yours was doing. If everything is fine.. its time to swap alternator, im saving mine as a spare.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”