Timing Belt - $135
Tensioner - $195
Idler Tensioner - $98
Idler - $160
Idler Pulley - $160
Crank Seal - $12
Cam Seals - $18

Labor - $280

Is this normal? Is it okay if I just do the Timing Belt and Seals, minus all this Idler Pulley crap they've added on all of a sudden? My car is 225 000 kms and I don't know when the timing belt was last done, so I was expecting $400, but suddenly all this idler crap was suggested to me. There must be a miscalc somewhere: I notice that the "Idler" and "Idler Pulley" somehow cost the same on my quote . . . By the way, this mechanic also showed me in their manual that the water pump is not necessary to replace with the timing belt: it's not in location, unlike what another shop told me . . . thanks for all advice. the Mx-3 V6 is an interference engine
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

those parts are pricey yes. But go on ebay and get the kit. its like $100 comes with belts and all pullies and tensioners. Those prices are probobly from Mazda. The labour seems good. Just parts need to be done
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
illapino

Post by illapino »

hmm. can't wait around for eBay. and the chance that i'll get poor qualities . . . so no water pump then?
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

do the pump if they are pulling the motor, it will save you with labour later on. i cant see them doing this with the motor still in, i was going to try and after i seen how much hassel it was it was easier to pull the motor. those prices are right, depends on where you go and who you know. check with mx west and see if they have any sponsors with a auto company maybe check with taras.
illapino

Post by illapino »

see, what i was thinkin, was that for $1000, i could get a kLZE. a whole new engine... or does getting a klze entitle me to do a new timing belt anyway?
andy

Post by andy »

Replace the timing belt, crank seal and water pump. No need to pull the motor. I would also replace the accessory belts as well.
The labor price sounds good but the parts prices are high, very high.

Do some more research, our motors are definitly non-interferenc.

Even if you bought a KLZE, you would want to replace the same parts before installing.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
tuner

Post by tuner »

dont know if there is much diffrence from the 4cyl, but i just replaced my timing belt along with power steering and alt belts for $300.

should have done the water pump but i didnt bother...but i guess its gotta come off to do the timing belt so most people just replace it to.
dont drink and drive....you might spill your drink.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Its very tight to do in the car but it can be done in one day without pulling the motor. The only time i have pulled a motor for a timing belt job was a probe gt. it needed a clutch so we pulled teh entire motor/rans and puta new clutch on that side and then the other end we put on a new timing belt and waterpump and then put it back in. Only took a day.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
sexy_mx3

Post by sexy_mx3 »

I got my water pump, timing belt, power steering belt and fan belt all replaced for $610.00 cdn last summer.... I guess my buddy got me a pretty good deal... (labour incld)
illapino

Post by illapino »

okay. you guys are all giving me prices on timing belts and water pumps. good. i know them. but what i'm talking about here are idler pulleys, idler tensioners and idler idlers. Do I need them?

(and my mechanic also showed me in their manual that the water pump on the v6 doesn't come off to get to the water pump. water pump is completely separate)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I would buy a kit that comes with all of those parts.. even the kit from napa which included the 2 idler pullys and the tensioner pully was only $400. I would avoid the ebay kit.. Having bought one myself.. the idler pulleys are made of plastic.. and I know a friend had a plastic one come apart on him. So I am not using the plastic pully's in my engine.. I just reused the metal ones (which were in great condition in my engine). You do not have to remove the timing belt to remove the water pump. However.. if you have the timing belt off.. there is no better time to replace the water pump. An ouce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you replace the pump at the same time you do the belt (which is what I did) you know you wont have to worry about the waterpump for a long time.

See part of the problem of buying used cars is, in most cases, you dont know how well the previous owner(s) maintained the car. Did they ever replace the timing belt? Did they change the oil every 3000 miles? Almost everyone says they change the oil that often.. but in reality.. most people arent that punctual. When looking at what maintenance you should be doing.. you have to balance what you can afford with what you know should be done. If you are paying to have a mechanic do all this stuff for you.. consider the waterpump as well.. it wont ad any labor costs to the job since its all there at the same time.

As for the pricing.. OUCH. Ask him if you can provide your own parts. If he wont let you (some shops claim that they have to use their own parts for insurance reasons.. a load of crap in my opinion) what he is likely doing is jacking the parts prices to make it look like his labor costs are low. Call around and get second or even third opinions.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

andy wrote:Replace the timing belt, crank seal and water pump. No need to pull the motor. I would also replace the accessory belts as well.
The labor price sounds good but the parts prices are high, very high.
Do some more research, our motors are definitly non-interferenc.
Even if you bought a KLZE, you would want to replace the same parts before installing.
Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
illapino, it's best that you follow the above directions. You haven't searched well enough to know what's required.

http://www.preferredcomponents.com/mazda.htm
2507cc 2.5 liter KL V-6 1993-02
626, MX6, Millenia 24 valve DOHC
Timing Belt Set TS26214 belt, tens brg & 2 idlers
Timing Belt B214* 192 teeth
Tensioner T60359 bearing assembly
Tension Adjuster T60298 hydraulic cylinder
Idler Bearing upper T60296 upper
Idler Bearing lower T60297 lower
Lash Adjuster 30mm LA118 Caution: see below
some engines use a 33mm lifter in the left (front) cylinder head

This companies product (in yellow) comes up every once and awhile on ebay and is basically all you would need as a minimum (belt, tensioner bearing and 2 idlers. Somewhere just over $100.00.
That along with new accessory belts and water pump should be well within budget.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... iming+belt
Although this is an old ebay auction you can gleen the necessary info from this thread. Once again, a search would have made things a little clearer for you.

Have you tried to google what you want?
http://www.drivewire.com/mazdaparts/cat ... gbelt.html
As you can see the cost for the previously mentioned items is considerably less than what you were quoted. This is the same kit as highlighted in yellow.

http://www.1motormart.com/unified/brand ... _pump&my=1
Water pump info.
Hope this helps.

John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

That picture that Jbeef just provided is the exact kit that I am recommending you do NOT buy. You can clearly see in the picture that the idler pulleys are made of plastic. Get ones made of metal if you are going to replace them. The plastic ones are crap.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

illapino

Post by illapino »

just to remind you guys: i do not have a klze. i have the k8. i noticed you're giving me links and prices to Millenia and 626 2.5L timing belt kits. are these compatible with the 1.8L? (a search on this forum tells me yes they are interchangeable) . . . .

:?:
Last edited by illapino on August 14th, 2006, 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

They are the same belt & kit. The K8, KLDE & KLZE all use the same timing belt.

Tunes67

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”