racing question

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Gottagofaster

racing question

Post by Gottagofaster »

right now i have a 93 mx-3 sohc I've ddroped 50lbs in weight reduction
but other then that i'm stock
I'm thinking about doing 1.8 BP swap and I"m wondering how fast should i expect to be? will i keep up with civics? or should i go with something with more power..????
Limegreen mx-3

Re: racing question

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Gottagofaster wrote:right now i have a 93 mx-3 sohc I've ddroped 50lbs in weight reduction
but other then that i'm stock
I'm thinking about doing 1.8 BP swap and I"m wondering how fast should i expect to be? will i keep up with civics? or should i go with something with more power..????
U do a BP swap u'll be in the high 15's to low 16's depending on driver skills.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

even with the sohc u should be keeping up to the 4g cx,dx,si and the 5g civics cx,dx si would take u in the topend cause u have the sohc,but the sohc has good midrange power, unlike the above civics. but u definatly would love a bp as ud walk them
Last edited by mzdamx3rsdohc on October 11th, 2006, 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

You mean sohc 88 hp to the wheels? SWAP.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Do a BPT swap or a BP Hybrid Turbo.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

hgallegos915 wrote:You mean sohc 88 hp to the wheels? SWAP.
88hp at the crank. More like 70ish to the wheels.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

mzdamx3rsdohc wrote:even with the sohc u should be keeping up to the 4g cx,dx,si and the 5g civics cx,dx si would take u in the topend cause u have the sohc,but the sohc has good midrange power, unlike the above civics. but u definatly would love a bp as ud walk them
A 4th gen SI would kill a Mx-3 (4cyl maybe the six as well), driver skill aside. As long as the 4g is not sporting a 4 speed or the lowest trim motor just about any of them should be able to take an sohc mx-3.

I also dont know if you have ever driven any of the cars you are ragging on either, the last 4g I drove did best between 3-5k rpm in thie mid range.

To the OP head over to 4 cyl performance, you can find a ton of information over there on both modifications and motor swap advice. For a mild motor upgrade or for future planning of a turbo setup, a BP swap is a good step in the right direction. There are a lot of odds and ends you can do in regards to weight reduction as well, just don't do what i did and take it a bit to far, it makes for piss poor rainy day drives.

-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

lol i love the weight reduction, but seriously you got like 7-8 pounds in speakers and wiring in their....LOL REMOVE IT!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

LooseChangeRacing wrote:lol i love the weight reduction, but seriously you got like 7-8 pounds in speakers and wiring in their....LOL REMOVE IT!
Noise levels get VERY intense inside a car that is as stripped as this. Part of the reason is to break the monatany and add a little bit of comfort.

What you see above is one of the stages of weight reduction, there was more done to the car. At last weigh in she was shy of 2000lbs.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

Ok well i did my bp swap/with pro lx tranny....Also i have CAI, pacesetter Headers, 2.5" exhaust to where the old cat was and 2.25" the rest of the way...
~I've done more weight reduction....stripped back taken out a/c stuff in the bay and took out little odds and ends that don't do anything(towing hooks)...
and it's a pretty quick car now. gotta wait 3 more months until i'm 18 so i can run at the track....Then i'll post some times
93 mx-3 bp, CAI, msd blaster 2, ngk wires,NGK V-powers(just for limegreen). Pacesetter headers, no cat, cat-back 2.25" piping, autometer lunar A/F gauge, 800w 12" sub w/1600w amp. 3 way pioneer speakers all around
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

It would be easier and cheaper to throw a 50 shot on top of it rather than stripping everything out of the car. It also makes for a more pleasant ride.. :)
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”