Coolant Flush

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Si1verBullet

Coolant Flush

Post by Si1verBullet »

Job for the weekend is the coolant.

So here what I have figured out so far :

Manual page E2 006

Radiator drain plug : Is this easy to remove, any tricks ?

Do I need to do anything else other than the manaul proccess to stop air locks ?

I usually setup a "surge" in the system by pumping the coolant pipes with my hands to stop airlocks. Any reason not to do this in the V6 ?

Are there any other bleed points ?

On my old car, the trick was to jack the front left into the air and undo the radiator cap so it was the highest point, and then you could fill quick. Anything like that for the Mx3 ?

Yes, I am probaly making this simple job real hard. Go cautious paranoia !
97' UK V6, Standard.
state_red

Post by state_red »

Pretty much. The drainplug just comes off with a wrench no probs. might need a new o-ring for the end of it, mine was broken. The first time I did the coolant flush I didn't even jack the car up and I didn't have any problems with air getting trapped. I think where the coolant is added is pretty close to the highest point in the system. I had a very smooth burping/breathing of the air out of the system as the car cycled the new coolant in. Pretty staight forward, and you can follow the maintenance guide in the glove box for how to cycle the new coolant in.
Si1verBullet

Post by Si1verBullet »

Good tip on the O-ring, thanks.

I just watched Boyd Coddington screw this proccess up on TV, nearly overheating his new engine and getting coolant everywhere !
97' UK V6, Standard.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”