Weird Problem with 1.6 DOHC MX3 HELP!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
osargeant

Weird Problem with 1.6 DOHC MX3 HELP!!!

Post by osargeant »

Hey Guys,

I have been having this weird problem with my MX3 over the last week or so and would like some feedback from you guys on the possible problem. The car is a turbocharged 1.6 DOHC MX3 with MSD 6A Ignition and Blaster SS Coil, Rising Rate Regulator and Bigger Injectors. I have a voltometer gauge installed in the vehicle, normally I consistently get readings of 13.7/13.8 while driving.

I am now seeing a case where the voltmeter readings are going crazing ranging from 13.0 to 14.9, changing continuously while I am driving, the Pioneer CD deck is constantly losing power for a couple seconds and then powers back on, the car hesistates to accelerate, basically stumbling before then accelerating. Note however the car never cuts out at any point or loses full power to the vehicle.

Any ideas as to what could be my problem? I am looking to take the car to an auto electrician over the next day or 2.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

maybe the common alt problem? lol/
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
xmaster19

Post by xmaster19 »

Looks like a worn out alternator problem to me...
92 MX-3 RS RIP

94 MX-3 RS Black
Project car, hybrid B5-ZET build-up.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Make sure all of your power connections at the battery and at the starter and alternator are all nice and tight. If they are.. then I would have the alternator tested next. Sounds like your problem is rather intermittant so I would definately check your connections before anything else. Especially if it seems to do it more when your driving than when you are sitting and idling. Let us know what you find out :) Hope this helps.. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
SpikeDerailed

Post by SpikeDerailed »

Get a fluke meter on the alternator. Get a friend to crank it up and watch the meter, sounds like a case of the voltage regulator on the alt going out. If thats the case repair it ASAP!!! Bad voltage spikes can cause more problems then its worth to just have(or do it yourself) replaced.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”