Tokico Blues + 17inch rubbing

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
ManoWar

Tokico Blues + 17inch rubbing

Post by ManoWar »

I am just installing my tokico blues with 215/40/17 and they rub against each other. I do not know what to do any suggestions?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You didn't change springs or wheels? Just new struts tires?

Did you get the camber adjusted so the tops of the tires don't tilt in so much?

If the camber's adjusted, about the only thing you can do is get some proper wheel spacers like H&R makes. I'd think a 10 or 15mm spacer should be plenty. But address the camber first.
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

thx allot
What i did was i changed from stock Spring/Strut w 17inch 215/40/R17 to
Apex Springs /Tokico HP Strut w 215/40/R17. My camber looked alrite before and it doesn't look to bad either. I tested how it would look with a spacer and it would not touch. Question.... where can i find some spacers and what should i be concerned of.
Cy

Post by Cy »

don't spacers screw aroung with your handling... alot....I read something once about not screwing with offsets...
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Cy wrote:don't spacers screw aroung with your handling... alot....I read something once about not screwing with offsets...
Well, if the offset of his wheels was right in the first place, I suspect he wouldn't be rubbing either. But obviously, since he's on 17's, he's not on stock wheels, so his offset may be off a tad.

H&R makes spacers, but they're expensive. May be able to find cheaper elsewhere. Just make sure they're 4x100mm bolt pattern. A 5mm spacer, you can probably get away with stock wheel studs. For 10mm or 15mm, you will need to get longer wheel studs with the same thread pitch.

But I'd go for an alignment first and see if camber needs camber adjusting bolts first. Just saying it 'looked alrite' implys you didn't actually take your car for an alignment yet after your spring and strut install. You need to get that done.
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

Lakersfan, i did not take it for an allignment due to the fact that i cannot move the car yet. They look straight and i calculated i would need a 8mm spacer to be on the safe side. Even if they only look straight to me i am not sure if a camber adjustment might do the trick. Since it might be 2-3mm off but no more
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Same thing happend to me. I was stuck in my garage because they rub.

SO

i put 2 washers on each lug, with abunch of locktite. That gave me engouh clearance to drive the car to the shop. They took out the washers, put in some camber bolts and alinged everything up.

Just do that...use pretty much anything that will keep your wheel spaced enough to drive it down the street, washers, spacers, carboard...as long as your wheel won't fall off.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

Vanished wrote:Same thing happend to me. I was stuck in my garage because they rub.

SO

i put 2 washers on each lug, with abunch of locktite. That gave me engouh clearance to drive the car to the shop. They took out the washers, put in some camber bolts and alinged everything up.

Just do that...use pretty much anything that will keep your wheel spaced enough to drive it down the street, washers, spacers, carboard...as long as your wheel won't fall off.
Well my stock rims do not rub so i could use those. Altough i have barely any tread left on them.
I doubt camber bolts would help but i guess i could try. With the stock rims my tires look straight, if i adjust the camber i am pretty sure they will look wierd.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

wheel spacers do not screw up handling. using proper offset wheels is the same as using spacers except in some cases weight is different.

if you are rubbing only a little bit id get some 3 or 5mm spacers from ebay. im using some on my other car with no problems and i know others who are using them too. since i dont plan to buy custom wheels for my mx3, ill probably be using spacers on this car later too.

without telling us what offset and with your wheels are we cant exactly suggest the correct sized spacer to use.
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

Steeb to tell you the truth i do not know the offset of my wheels.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Man I had 18's and they rubbed to. You should be able to get some camber bolts and re-do your alignment and that will clear them,
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

I installed a 5mm spacer today. Nothing rubs anymore but now i am concerned about the wheel studs. They only go in about 1cm and i only get 5 turns on the screws. I just hope that A) The wheels wont fall off or B)They get undone.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you know the thread pitch of the studs, you can get some longer studs and press them into the hub.Out of curiosity, where'd you get the 5mm spacers, and how much were they?
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

I got them from a performance tire shop for 10$CAD (9US) each.
illapino

Post by illapino »

205 45Z R17

my tokico blues are arriving in two days.
will they rub my tires above?

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”