Light legalities in ontario?

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
thedog300

Light legalities in ontario?

Post by thedog300 »

I want to get blue/bluewhite lights, but what are we allowed to get thats legal in Ontario? Thank you.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

White and amber racing forwards and amber and rear facing the rear, those are the laws. Are you looking at getting HID headlights? On that, I'm not sure on the legality. J-Beef posted a nice article on the light types, it's a good read. http://mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t= ... b0c2b2ccf9
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Thanks Mike. Noob must learn to use the search. As well make his questions more specific, ie, headlight, taillights, turn signals, side markers, interior lights, add-on lights, aux lights, etc.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
kp2t

Post by kp2t »

HAHA J-BEEF
thedog300

Post by thedog300 »

are we allowed to have blue underglow in ontario
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My understand is that we are allowed to have any color, the problem is direction, their not allowed to project light facing forward or back. So if you hide the tubes, you should be A-Ok., I've been driving like that for 4 years with my blue underglows and no problem. Just don't drive like an idiot and drive to draw *more* attention to yourself
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
vasilaar

Post by vasilaar »

This is take from the Ontario Highway Traffic Act

"(1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

Attachment that affects lamps prohibited

(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),

(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or

(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).
"

alright, this is something that affects many of us so here is the laymans...

TECHNICALLY, you are permitted to have ONLY... WHITE... AMBER... and RED.. lamps

now the way that we can get around this (at least in ontario) is dependant on the type of bulb.

as the second part there indicated, ANY Bulb that is COATED is Illegal... so yes... almost every single one of those bulbs that you see in tuner shops... and most of the ones you see online (ebay etc.) are ILLEGAL.... PERIOD... if the glass is blue or purple or whatever colour ur going for... FORGET IT...

however there are certian bulbs... usually a higher quality That give the same effect AND Do not fall under the restricted list.

what you should be looking for are CRYSTALIZED bulbs, they are made in all the normal colours, (HYPER WHITE, BLUE, YELLOW etc.)... but because the colour is actually a result of the type of gas mixing with the GLASS of the Bulb, it is legal.

they are not coated, and therefore are legal.

these bulbs are usually more expensive (ie PIAA etc.) however for someone on a tight(er) budget... look up MTEC... a light company from japan, they specialize in these type of lights.

i am currently running the Golden Style, and i LOVE THEM... and the best part, they still look awesome, however are %100 Legal...

hope this helps
Drive it like you stole it.

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”