I took off my hood emblem

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
illapino

I took off my hood emblem

Post by illapino »

in preparation for a paintjob that may be one year away, and the annoyance of the obsolete mazda symbol, i peeled it off with a non-philips screwdriver (sorry, i forget what to call them flatties)

what remained was the grey remnants of some sort of glue that was easily scraped and cleaned off, but what most importantly remains are two holes in my hood where the emblem's prongs were once inserted. one of the plastic "grommets" remains in one of the holes while the other came off with the emblem. those who have done this or plan to do this will realize that on the other side of the hood from where the emblem sat, there is a hollow space (that is barely accessible for a wandering human finger), which makes me wonder how i should approach re-filling these holes when time comes to give my car a blo-- i mean, paintjob.

should i be concerned about rust developing inside my hood if rain is able to run into those two holes?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Kinda hard to say if it will rust or not. It depends on whether or not Mazda sprayed the hood before they welded it or after. Probably painted it after meaning that the metal inside the hood is not protected and thus will rust.
I'd go to a body shop and ask them with a 10 in your hand. (dollars that is)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

bodyshop will most likely wipe bondo over holes and sand off until they are filled and unseen
illapino

Post by illapino »

but there is a hollow behind those holes
that's why i was wondering because if you're just gonna bondo those holes from the outside, wouldn't it start filling the hollow underneath? or can they control the bondo so that only the holes themselves are filled and the hollow isn't intruded upon?
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

place tape from underside hood over holes then wipe bondo
illapino

Post by illapino »

smart.

:cry:

by the way, Greg, I've always admired your Emmex. It all goes together nicely, like those particular rims with the car's edges. It's like a Shark on Purple. the colors go well together and that new mazda emblem on the derriere sparked my own fires, honestly.. good work.. I don't know where the Gulf Coast is but would you do a projector conversion for someone in west Canada per chance? shops here won't do it, even if i pay them
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

yeh thats what i did, i mixed some bondo, waited until it started to harden, then i wiped it over holes.. and voila, no more holes.. did put a 2nd coat on to make sure it was completely flat... sanded and now u cant tell there were holes there!
illapino

Post by illapino »

CarMan1 wrote:yeh thats what i did, i mixed some bondo, waited until it started to harden, then i wiped it over holes.. and voila, no more holes.. did put a 2nd coat on to make sure it was completely flat... sanded and now u cant tell there were holes there!
so the bondo doesn't drip down into the hollow beneath the hole, and sustains itself in the hole only?

Return to “Appearance”