throttle body spring question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
GreenMachine

throttle body spring question

Post by GreenMachine »

Ok i am putting the pheno spacers on my ze that has yet to be swapped. The throttle body that came on the curved manifold had the throttle cam smashed into the spring mechanism that was attached to the butterfly. Question is: will the k8 throttle cam work on the curved neck ze manifold? and if not will the straight neck throttle body work with curved neck manifold? sorry if im not making sence but any help would be appriciated.

-Green Machine
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You mean the throttle butterfly?

The K8 butterfly will fit only if you shave off the stop screw .......... which will make idle not kick down all the time. You're better off pulling from a KL TB. But there are a few different kinds of throttle butterfly on KL's. Do a visual inspection before ripping apart.
GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine »

so will a straight neck ze throttle body work on the curve neck ze manifold without any idle or vacuum issues?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

GreenMachine wrote:so will a straight neck ze throttle body work on the curve neck ze manifold without any idle or vacuum issues?
I don't believe the MS8 (straight neck) TB will work on the Eunos 800 (curved neck) IM simply because the IAC valve is located or pointed in the opposite direction and will make contact with the thermostat housing. Now I don't believe the TB cams (linkage) from the K8 will go on the KL68 TB simply because it's a slightly different actuation set-up, I believe. The KL68 TB cams have a double arm whereas I believe (it's been so long now) the K8 TB has only a single cam/ linkage arm. I think you're the second person in as many days that has reported bent throttle linkage on new ZE's. They seem to get the brunt of damage during the import process. Now the straight neck linkage (KL31 TB) and the curved neck linkage (KL68 TB) should be the same I believe. As an added note the ZE TB's are 5mm bigger in bore than the K8 TB's. BTW, you made perfect sense in your first post. Don't forget while you are at this stage to change the timing/cam belts (a very big must) with new ones. Also transport your K8 coolant filler neck assembly with the 2 coolant thermosensors on it (black and green ones) to the ZE. I believe that if you sourced the curved neck ZE (Eunos 800), they will come with both coolant thermosensors already, whereas, with the straight neck ZE (MS8), they only came with the one. And you need the 2. I just may very well have that coolant thermosensor thing between the MS8 and Eunos 800 flip flopped around, but I distinctly remember seeing that distinction when I was routing through about a dozen of them (ZE's) last spring.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

GreenMachine wrote:so will a straight neck ze throttle body work on the curve neck ze manifold without any idle or vacuum issues?
No. You can't mix a curved neck manifold with a straight neck throttle body or vice verse. Either way, the IAC will hit a coolant assembly under the throttle body.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”