RPM Gauge screwed up

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

RPM Gauge screwed up

Post by MX-3 Money »

When I turn the key to the on position the rpm needle moves to about 250 rpms and when I'm driving the car around the rpm's are about 500-700 higer then they should be. Anyone had this problem, maybe its my rpm gaguge and i should replace it?
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Do you mean it moves to 250 WITHOUT the engine running?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Ya, it happens when the key is just turned to the on position. The engine isn't running.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

The distributor has 2 connectors - unplug the 3 wire connector and turn the key to on position. If the gauge shows zero then maybe the disty is going bye bye. If the gauge is still screwed up - then its either the gauge itself or the wiring from the disty to the gauge.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

well it happened after i was replacing my glow gauges so i don't think its the disty, plus i just replaced it last summer.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

MX-3 Money wrote:well it happened after i was replacing my glow gauges
You have your work cut out then - In the future it will be much beneficial if all necessary & critical information is presented first while asking the question.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

it's not hard to swap in a new rpm gauge, done both the speedo and fuel gauge.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

the fisty has one line comming for the tack.. tech the amount of voltage tehre as u rev it.. however i forgot how much it should read.... lol..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”