starter problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hyperman

starter problem

Post by hyperman »

After redoing my car and connecting megasquirt my car won't start.
the starter is making a ticking noise but won't spool.
If checked if it was the battery thisi sn't the case cause it bought a new one and the problem stays. Next thing I checked was the starter itself, I replaced it with a second gand one but the same issue occurs.
Then I checked the ground wire of the starter but this wasn't causing the problem either.
Does anyone have a clue what the problem is, I don't have a clue.
daytona blue MX-3 2.5L V6 KL-ZE, KL31 ecu, koni lowered 40mm, freeflow exhaust system (decat), centerforge race clutch, cold air intake Dynamik, front and rear strut bars reactive, OBX race headers, Akebono pro act ceramic brake pads, Techna fit steel brake lines, zimmmerman crossdrilled rotors, reverse glow gauges, spinner gauges, topmix front lip, pakfeifer skirts, pakfeifer difussor, pakfeifer wing, inverted scoop bonnet , 17" bsa rims, etc
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

There is no ground wire on the starter. There's a main power wire, then a small wire to activate the starter.

The starter is grounded through the body of the starter, which means that the transmission needs a good ground strap to the body for it to work properly.
nightnic

Post by nightnic »

The ticking noise probably means starter control cirquit is working, the tickling is from electromagnetic coil moving starter shaft back and forth. Same shaft when moved forth engages motor circuit which provides power to actually spin the flywheel. This indeed might be a grounding problem since motor cirquit requires much more current flow than control circuit.
Also theft-deterrent system might be engaged if operates on starter. As well as ignition switch wiring - I'm not sure whether megasquirt controls that, if yes, might be a good idea to double check megasquirt wiring.

*correction* mx-3 starter does not employ moving shaft, instead it uses clutch mechanism, but it doesnt change much in scope of the question.
hyperman

Post by hyperman »

@ lakerfan1: i ment the one on the transmission. I cleaned that on so that can't be the problem.

Today i have tried to start without compression. and the starters works fine. but with compression it doesn't.
daytona blue MX-3 2.5L V6 KL-ZE, KL31 ecu, koni lowered 40mm, freeflow exhaust system (decat), centerforge race clutch, cold air intake Dynamik, front and rear strut bars reactive, OBX race headers, Akebono pro act ceramic brake pads, Techna fit steel brake lines, zimmmerman crossdrilled rotors, reverse glow gauges, spinner gauges, topmix front lip, pakfeifer skirts, pakfeifer difussor, pakfeifer wing, inverted scoop bonnet , 17" bsa rims, etc
nightnic

Post by nightnic »

Lacks power. measure the voltage drop on starter power circuit. Might be poor connection.
hyperman

Post by hyperman »

I fixed the problem. It was the injector wiring that caused the problem. the starter tried to fire the engine up but the injectors didn't take over

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”