EGR solenoid valve broke

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fabmxer

EGR solenoid valve broke

Post by fabmxer »

First off i'm new to this forum been browsing for a while, just got my licence ( just turned 16 ) but had my 1992 mx-3 for about 2 years now ... its a big project and im trying to learn as much as I can, but the problem I'm having is Really frustrating.

Anyways now it's time for my car to get smogged but the check engine light is on, I cleared all the codes except 1 of them, which is code number 16, something about the EGR system.

I inspected both of my egr solenoids ( vaccum and vent. ) and sure enough they were broken ... tried to repair it a couple times but its not working out, so I went to a couple wrecking yards and pulled out the parts I needed but 1 of them didn't match up.

My question is where can I find these parts that I'm looking for, nobody around me has them and I couln't find anything over the internet, I've literally called every place through my yellow pages , but no luck. Does anyone know a good website or anywhere that would have my 2 egr soldenoid valves I need, I mean if anyone has anything laying around I would be more then happy to pay for it, since it seems like an uncommon part, but other then that I'm all out of ideas.

Well since this is my frist time posting hope I didn't post on the wrong forum or anything, I apologize in advance. Oh and I hope I explained myself clearly, given I'm pretty new to this stuff.

- fabmxer
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

usually u want to say whether its a rs or a gs for starters. i dont even have my egr hooked up i pass emissoins
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

Really ... you passed emissions? Well either way something is giving me a check engine light, which is code 16 ... so what else could be the problem

The reason I thought it was my solenoids is because there broken so I figured it was that , and I also read the trouble codes description here :

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mx6-uk/malf/malfcode.htm

Heres a picture of what I'm talking about, and to let you guys know I dont think it looks like this on one bracket, since my brother did an engine swap from 1.8 to the 2.5L so he messed with a bunch of stuff. And thanks for your help.

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

i had the same issue LOL i got a spare one if u need it. pm me.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

maybe this will clear your head....does the check engine light stay off at all when you clear the codes, if not find out how you can disable the check engine light, the reason I am saying this is because in most states (PA is one of them) if your car is a 93 or older all you have to do is pass the visual inspection...lol...I could have a completely gutted cat and it would pass...make sure you even need to pass the smog test and if you do your gonna need to find either another mx-3 lalala anyway yeah, we need to know are you a 1.6 sohc dohc v6 what what what lol
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

im assuming he has a 2.5 v6 since he said he has a 1.8 and his brother swapped to the 2.5. also, he posted in the v6 forum. that looks very much like the egr for the v6 as well

sorry, i cant help you since jdm doesnt have this issue.
fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

Yes, it's a V6 2.5 , 1992.

well I wish it was that easy here, but i think california rules are a bit more stricter, which sucks haha.

The check engine light was off for a couple days or so, until the part broke again or the engine got to normal operation temperature, and when I clear any codes, it Does stay off, but now the check engine light has been on for over 2 weeks, ( since the egr broke i think ) .

So its gotta be something else conflicting . but heres some more info.

The car has 2 engine codes, one of them was this code ( code 16 ) and the other I think was that the idle was all jacked up, so i fixed the idle code, but my car idles good until normal operating tempurature, then the idle isnt steady anymore and sounds like its gonna stall , which sometimes it does.

Thanks everyone.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

i am in california too. i believe my parts car has one of those. where in cali are you located?
fabmxer

Post by fabmxer »

I'm all over ... Temecula , san marcos, san diego, anywhere between there.

The guy up there that posted telling me to PM him said he would ship me one, which is awesome, but he's from texas , so would emissions be different then a californian car? bottomline i just need to get my car smogged before my temp registration runs out.
gotboost

Post by gotboost »

if you are running a klze with a jdm computer do you need to run with the egr???? the jdm computer shouldn't read the egr. should it

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”