No traction in first gear!

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Teqnyck

No traction in first gear!

Post by Teqnyck »

Hey guys. I've got a KLZE, all the bolt ons, and I have no traction in first gear. I've got good tires on the stock 15"s, and I bog off the line to try to ensure some kind of traction. But to no avail. By 4500rpms the front tires are spinning. I've lost a couple of races like this, because they get ahead in first gear while I'm spinning, then I play catch-up for the rest of the race! Advice, fellas! I've got a faster car, I just need traction!
KLZE/KL31 ecu/Pacesetter headers/track pipe cat delete/2.5 inch custom exhaust out to fart pipe/warm air intake for now :(/Fidanza 9lbs flywheel/Stage 2 kevlar road racing clutch which still slips/stock wheels/BFG KDW-2 tires. Looks bone stock ;)

There are those who claim to be street racers, and then there are those who claim the streets for themselves. I am not a street racer. I am a StreetSweeper.
http://www.streetsweepersracing.com
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Use less gas. : )

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Teqnyck

Post by Teqnyck »

yeah, I'm working on that. Slipping the clutch, too. This is my sleeper, so I wasn't wanting to get bigger wheels, but I may not have a choice.
KLZE/KL31 ecu/Pacesetter headers/track pipe cat delete/2.5 inch custom exhaust out to fart pipe/warm air intake for now :(/Fidanza 9lbs flywheel/Stage 2 kevlar road racing clutch which still slips/stock wheels/BFG KDW-2 tires. Looks bone stock ;)

There are those who claim to be street racers, and then there are those who claim the streets for themselves. I am not a street racer. I am a StreetSweeper.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

I know with my ZE (non turbo) i launched at 2000 rpm's and did nto mash the gas all they way till i was up top on the rpm's. So i would not spin.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

we all got that problem alot and even myself will spin thru the first 2 gears u just gotta keep practising ur launches to see what YOUR car likes..
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yup even me with ym slo car..after the fidanza first gear spins alot..i gottta launch like at 2k rpms and better tire.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: No traction in first gear!

Post by cjthor »

Teqnyck wrote:Hey guys. I've got a KLZE, all the bolt ons, and I have no traction in first gear. I've got good tires on the stock 15"s, and I bog off the line to try to ensure some kind of traction. But to no avail. By 4500rpms the front tires are spinning. I've lost a couple of races like this, because they get ahead in first gear while I'm spinning, then I play catch-up for the rest of the race! Advice, fellas! I've got a faster car, I just need traction!
Define good tires...Street tires will get you nowhere if you have any power. Get slicks!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

ITS ALL IN THE DRAG RADIALS..... im so serious i used to spin so much even through half of second (on Konig 17s) and then i slammed on some BF G FORCEs on the stock wheel and the results were a wonder (DO NOT USE THESE TIRES ON THE STREET JUST THE TRACK....THATS IT JUST ....TRACK)....trust me those 300 dollars (USD) you will spend on the tire wont compare to their results .....slicks are cool but you are risking busting alot of stuff .... cv joints, motor mounts, TRANNY. go drag radial if your set up is stock
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
Teqnyck

Post by Teqnyck »

I'm running BFG KDs right now, so they aren't a bad tire. Second gear usually catches traction cuz I spend all of first spinning! :lol: So drag tires are pretty much the way to go, huh. Has anybody tried using a higher geared tranny, like the Mx6 tranny?

XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

only the 5th gear is higher.

mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

One of the best things you can do for traction is get some mazdaspeed motor mounts(a cheaper alternative would be to fill your stock mounts with polyurethane). Also tire pressure, shocks and springs, suspension bushings, strut bars ect. will help a lot.

And lsd would be great as well but is pretty expensive.
Teqnyck

Post by Teqnyck »

^^^ It's all in the works. I was hoping more for how you guys launch. I've got a kevlar clutch and a stage 2 pressure plate. When it gets hot, it gets grabby. Sounds to me like most of you guys are modulating the gas, not the clutch, anyways. Haha, it's just way different for me. I've never had a front wheel drive car with this much torque before!

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

where can i buy polyutherane?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I juuust noticed youre in Oregon!! You should come up to PIR on the 24th. Hopefully running my car at the track as long as I get my car running!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Teqnyck

Post by Teqnyck »

Hmmm.... The 24th, eh? We'll see about that. I spent all of last weekend at PIR, co-drove a car in the Rose Cup. Got first place in my class, too!

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”