Reverse lights are goin nuts

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
TREVO123

Reverse lights are goin nuts

Post by TREVO123 »

Alright,So my reverse lights dont work during the day,But at night they seem to work fine? they are aftermarket one s that are cf, what do u think the prob is?and where would i find the reverse lights fuse?in the car or under the hood? all my wirin is hooked up.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The reverse lights are on the "meter" fuse under the dash but its unlikely to be that given they work sometimes.

It could be the switch on the tranny but that seems unlikely too given they work at night.

Are your tails a new install? Do the reverse lights only work when the headlights are on? If so, pull the tails out and check all the wiring - particulary the gound for the reverse lights.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Are you sure that you are just not "seeing" them in the day time. It is going to be alot harder to see them with the sun out. Also, your bulbs may be old and weak exagerating the problem.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I hope it's not a case of using the wrong bulbs. Can you confirm the bulb types in each of the sockets, - 1156 or 1157, single or double filament. Reverse are single filament and running/brake lights are double filament. It's quite easy to accidentally swap the wrong socket/bulb into the wrong openning in the tail units. Why not tae all bulb/socket units out of the light housing itself and do a complete test of all light configurations.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
ShadowCat

Post by ShadowCat »

Hope this is the right topic for my question: :roll:

My problem is that reverse lights on my 1995 mx-3 stopped working. I took the car to boxes and they told me that the reverse light switch (I hope this is the correct name for this part - the one that's somehow connected with the gear box) doesn't work and I have to replace it.
Here, in Georgia I couldn't find that part anywhere. There're only three mx-3's in Tbilisi (it's not like Vectra or BMW - not that "famous" :P ).

I'm interested if this part can be replaced with the same part from some other european car's.
(If not, i guess the only way to get it will be to order it from USA - which will take quite some time probably. :()
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Look for a switch out of a MX-6, 626, Millinea 2.5L (not the supercharged 2.3L verison) or a Ford Probe (if you have those there). Any of the reverse switches from those cars should work. You might even be able to use one from a Protoge or other 4 banger with a G series trans. Just be careful and make sure it is a G series and not the F series that is in alot of the Mazda FWD 4 cylinder cars.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ShadowCat

Post by ShadowCat »

Thanks for your advise, PATDIESEL.
I'm lucky - quite by chance got a switch from V6 mx-3 :D

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”