top speed

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
WingleBeast

top speed

Post by WingleBeast »

im wondering about an issue i have. when i go all out in my car, i can only get going to about 5000 rpm's in 4th gear (about 95mph) and then the engine crawls. even if i pop it into 5th, it still takes forever for the car to accelerate after that. it will remaint at 95-100mph if i keep the pedal floored, but it just wont go up

is it just the lack of horsepower the B6's have?
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

mines the exact same way, hopefully after the rebuild itll change...is ur engine stock?
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

Had the same problem also, around 95 MPH it flet like there was a hulting point. I retarded my iginition timing and now I can easly hit 112 MPH. And yes I said Retarded my timing, seems to help at high speeds running high rpm's. of coarse I orginally had my timing advanced. worked for me at least . good luck
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
Deadpool

Post by Deadpool »

mine dosent do that but it shakes the hatch glass till it booms like subs so I end up backing off the gas in fear of shattering it
94 Mazda MX-3
Mods - none yet
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

well at least its typical, must just be the lack of power. i dont think i will retard my timing, that will cut down on low end and acceleration is whats important, its not like im going to be doing nascar
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

I've gotten up to just under 120mph a couple times in my rs. It's a bit slow in the 90mph area, but once it hits 100 it flows to 110 in a few seconds, then crawls up from there.

This is in the Dohc.
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

yeha it just i ran out of raod to allow it to crawl, maybe ill try it on the highway early one morning
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

It seems to go upto 110mph fine with the ATX (DOHC) - the rpms were pegged at around 4k and then i had to slow suddenly because of a cop going the other way.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
lavaman

Post by lavaman »

well i got up to 100 mph in my SOHC but i know thats reaching the limit... the motor still had plenty of RPM left but its just the wind resistance is too much for the car to go anyfaster without more power...
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Actually that does make a lot of sense. Advancing the timing boost your low to middle rpm power. Retarding the timing shifts the power curve to be more friendly at higher RPMs. Ican get my (8V) SOHC up to 185kmh in about 800-900m
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) wrote:Had the same problem also, around 95 MPH it flet like there was a hulting point. I retarded my iginition timing and now I can easly hit 112 MPH. And yes I said Retarded my timing, seems to help at high speeds running high rpm's. of coarse I orginally had my timing advanced. worked for me at least . good luck
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Now that im running turbo i decided to see wat it could do (top speed) this morning after getting off around 7:30 am. Got it up to 130 MPH,slowed down after that because ive never gone that fast. I thought we have a limiter in our cars ? i thought i hit it one time around 115. although i could have just been in 4th maxed out.
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

i do that too, i can go faster but i fear to, mine does it around 80 mph, you need a high speed wheel ballance.
10secSim

Post by 10secSim »

How much boost were you running to go up to 130mph?
B6 1.6L DOHC, CAI, custom intake mani. with internal velocity stacks, 65mm thottle body, probe 4-2-1 header, custom 2.5" high flow exhaust, Centerforce dual friction, MS2, MSD 6A, Tokico struts, EIBACH springs.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2443642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Juggalomastaxx

Post by Juggalomastaxx »

I have a B6-DE in my car but i've gotten my car up past 130 on the freeway. And my car has 236k on it and runs like a champ. I just take really good car of it. And if you think i'm playin about goin that fast in mine stop by my house and i'll take you for a ride cuz it moves pretty quick. Just give your car a nice tune up and run really good oil in your car.
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

How much boost were you running to go up to 130mph?

I ran i think 8 Psi at the time and the other day I maxed out at 132 MPH. I could turn it up to 10 and hit top speed of 135 MPH, but right now im dealing with some problems so i most likley wont see top speed.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”