Sunroof Problems - No auto shut when car is turned off

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
lucifersjester

Sunroof Problems - No auto shut when car is turned off

Post by lucifersjester »

OK peoples. I am losing my mind and need some help...

My car got serviced yesterday and when I got it back the sunroof doesn't work as it should.

I used to be able to tap the switch once and the sunroof would pop open a little, tap the switch again and it would open up fully. And to close tap once and it would 90% close and then tap it again and then fully close.
Also it used to auto close when you turn the car off...

It doesn't do this now. I have it back at the mechanic and they can't work out what is going wrong.

has anyone had this problem or heard of this and knows a solution or where to start looking??

Thanks in advance
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

What's it do now?

Not much point saying what "it used to do" and not telling us what it does or doesn't do now.....

Does it not open with a tap? Does it not fully open with a second tap? Does it not close 90% with a tap? Does it not fully close with a second tap? Does it not auto close? Does it open if you hold the button? Does it close if you hold the button?

There's no magic bullet so the more info the better.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
lucifersjester

Post by lucifersjester »

Sorry for not giving more information in the first place...

It doesn't pop open with a tap of the sunroof button.
It doesn't fully open with a second tap of the sunroof button
It doesn't close 90% with a tap of the sunroof button
It doesn't fully close with a second tap of the sunroof button
It doesn't auto close after turning the ignition off.

It does open if you hold the button and it does close if you hold the button.

I was told the mechanics have had a look at everyfuse and even an explore under the head lining and said that it looks like someone has been in there before (their exact words) So currently I have no idea...

GRANTS: Are you the same grants from TeamEunos? If so - what's up with the website? It doesn't seem to be functioning?
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Cant see anywhere what type or year of MX you have but im pretty sure your "tap and autoshutting" sunroof isnt from mazda...

its most likely a little add-on system to your alarmsystem?
Like the controllers you can hook up to the alarm so that it rolls up the windows when you lock the car "same system"

Check your alarm and all the fuses around it and all non-original wires running to the sunroof and you should have a good chance of fixing it.
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
lucifersjester

Post by lucifersjester »

DJsMX-3 wrote:Cant see anywhere what type or year of MX you have but im pretty sure your "tap and autoshutting" sunroof isnt from mazda...

its most likely a little add-on system to your alarmsystem?
Like the controllers you can hook up to the alarm so that it rolls up the windows when you lock the car "same system"

Check your alarm and all the fuses around it and all non-original wires running to the sunroof and you should have a good chance of fixing it.
OK. THanks so much for the advise. I now have a direction to search I will... :lol: Not sure how much damage I can cause but I'll find out soon... Have to work out how to get the roof lining out with out breaking anything :shock: :shock:
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Hey dont start by taking the headlining out, that would be the last place to look if everything else seems ok.
And if the problem came after the car had been serviced, and they werent screwing around under the headliner, then why should the fault be up there :wink:

Most likely the only thing youre going to find under the lining is the 3-4 wires comming from the add-on control box that shorts the open/close button at timed intervals..

Uhmm unless who ever made this autoshutfunction got smart and put a second switch direct on the curvewheel of the sunroofmotor, but as said that would be the last thing to check since it involves taking the headliner out.
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Yep, don't take the headliner out. That would be silly.

There's obviously another input to the system because what you had isn't stock. You'll need to identify what other components had an input into that circuit and work backwards. Have you changed a battery lately? Remote one? Something made it change....
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
lucifersjester

Post by lucifersjester »

It's working now - I believe it was a lose connection or something because after I have had a dig around it started working...

Now the next drama is shock absorbers and springs but that is another story...

Thanks for the help peoples...

And Grants, I'll have to meet up with you one day and buy you a few beers!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

theres an auto close? :O
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”