swap 1.8l bp

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MAPEXMX3

swap 1.8l bp

Post by MAPEXMX3 »

hey hey...im dropping a 1.8l for a protege gt in my baby mx-3..i just got feuw question....for the halfshaft (axelshaft)..protege or mx-3...for the engine support...same question...there look similer..pretty similer a most say...supide one now...the vaccum canister..hum...protege or mx-3...here again..look close to me...i know it must sound like a amater question...but dont worry for me...im a mecanic..but im a diesel mecanic..(big high way truck..internatinal dealer..) and is my first swap in a car...and am pretty sure a will have a lot a surprises..i just want to minimize those suprise...so..if someone have don a similaire swap...please..help me with some good tips...is gona be appresiated....
thanks ..

(i read the swap in the technical forum..nice...but i dosent say nothing about the axleshaft...im curiuse..) :wink:
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

axles and halfshafts are going to be from a protege if you go with the stronger shorter gearing protege tranny. you gotta change your mounts a little bit. like on the engine mount on the passenger side is going to be protege towards the engine and mx-3 towards the car. IDK too much about the tranny ones yet. I am in the process of a swap and didn't quite get to it but i believ the mount towards the front needs a protege tranny mount with an mx-3 part also. basically the mounts are going to be hybrids. :P
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

This info is for a 92/93 SOHC model. I am not sure about the 94+ models.

If you keep your MX-3 tranny, then you use your MX-3 axles.

If you switch to the Protege GT/LX tranny, then you use those axles & halfshaft w/ carrier bearing.

Also, if you switch to the Protege Tranny, you will need to use that flywheel & clutch.

And, only if you switch to the Protege Tranny...
The only tranny mount that needs to be made a hybird is the top tranny mount on the drivers side. You will use the bottom from the Protege LX and the top from the MX-3.

If you use your Mx-3 tranny, then you use all of your stock mounts everywhere.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
MAPEXMX3

Post by MAPEXMX3 »

:D goooood.... thank's a lot....yes im keeping protege gt tranny..so i will use the axleshaft of the protege....this is all good...and also a big thank's for the mounting...going to save me time and unnessesare stress.. :wink:
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

theres a protege gt?
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:theres a protege gt?
Thats the Protege LX in Canada...
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mazdamx3sohc