2.5 swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pontiacboy

2.5 swap

Post by pontiacboy »

was wondering what i will need for the swap ie distributor, computer, wiring, and will the 1.8 distributor fit on the 2.5 engine and will the 1.8 tranny work with the original axles. i have found a 94 probe gt smashed for 1500 and i was wondering if it was worth the money.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

wow, you better take cover, your about to get ripped apart by the forum members.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Direct swap, read the Faq :)
pontiacboy

ok well

Post by pontiacboy »

it is my girst time on this site so yeah give me a break i am new into the import scene i am a muscle head at heart. sorry if i dont meet your standards but i am the only one i know with a mx-3 so yeah i dont have anyone else to help me. so any questions i have might sound stupid but i have to ask or ill never know anything.right? maybe ill just stick to rebuilding my trans am but thanks for the sarcasm.lol
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

don't get offended. It is just that it is fully detailed under the FAQ. If you have any questions about what you read feel free to ask.
I also have a ZE swap for dummies on http://www.atlantamx3.com/mocaforum
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
pontiacboy

thanks for the info

Post by pontiacboy »

but i really need to know if it worth it to buy the probe or can i get away with just buying a motor and a computer
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

All you really need is the Motor, ECU, and VAF...other than that u can use all your Mx-3 parts on the new engine.

Welcome to the MX-3 crowd.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
pontiacboy

vaf?

Post by pontiacboy »

dont know much about engines what is that and where is it
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well the motor, and ECU i am assuming you know those..lol.

The VAF is the sensor in the intake....its kinda like a MAss Air Flow Sensor... Its black and is like a plunger type sensor....its on the stock air box and has an electrical connector on it.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Macen

Post by Macen »

ECU = "computer"
VAF = airflow meter

You'll need those from the 2.5L engine. The harness from the 1.8 will work without any problem. Also use the exhaust manifolds from the 1.8.
The tranny will fit on the 2.5 without any problem.
1.8 distributor will also fit. I use the one from the 1.8.
Since the 1.8 and 2.5 is from the same family, almost everything will fit.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
pontiacboy

thanks

Post by pontiacboy »

hey thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated and just one more thing is it possible to put a twin turbo on the car. i have two turbos from my ta and they are just collecting dust. would it be worth it to install themm on the 2.5.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Just remember..
for a KL (us spec 2.5L) you will need their ECU and VAF, for a Jspec 2.5L (KLZE) you can use your ECU and VAF, just need the motor. Alothough, it will run better with the proper ECU, your VAF is the same as on a 2.5L Jspec.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Turbo: You can, but then you need a fuel controller, custom exhaust manifolds and piping, intercooler, fuel pump and depending on the amount of boost maybe injectors.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
pontiacboy

parts are easy

Post by pontiacboy »

i have a friend in a performance shop who makes headers, cold air intakes and he is selling me a stand alone system for 800 out of his porche.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”